Commemorative coin honoring Marilyn Monroe centennial in 2026

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willieboyd2, Jun 1, 2023.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Marilyn Monroe, the greatest American movie actress, was born on June 1, 1926 which means that 2026 will be the centennial of her birth.

We should ask the Treasury Department to mint a commemorative coin.

Such a coin would be a "best seller" as opposed to the commemoratives honoring obscure persons or events.

Marilyn sings a numismatic song "One Silver Dollar" in the 1954 film "River of No Return":

[​IMG]
    Marilyn sings "One Silver Dollar" (Written by Ken Darby and Lionel Newman)

One silver dollar
    Bright silver dollar
    Changing hands, changing hands
    Love is a shining dollar
    Bright as a church bell's chime
    Gambled and spent and wasted

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Sure, I'm in. It'll sell big.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I like Marilyn and wouldn't be opposed to a commemorative coin but "the greatest American movie actress"? Let's not get carried away :)

KBBPLL, medoraman, Mr.Q and 4 others like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Agreed, Mary Pickford, Betty Grable, Kay Francis, Natalie Wood & Carole Landis. Too many to list.

I wouldn't buy a Monroe coin, but I know she has more fans than Anna May Wong.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I dunno. The idea of a Hollywood commemorative rubs me the wrong way.

DCR Jerry and mrweaseluv like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I agree. She had more talent than people gave her credit for having, but she was very mentally unstable. That ended her career and her life.

She is one of the unusual children who would have been far better off if she had never met her birth mother. Her mother was probably bipolar, and she spent much of her life wondering if she would lose her mind too. Growing up in a stable home would have done her a lot of good instead of "being pulled from pillar to post" as my parents used to say.

tommyc03 and longnine009 like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Me too.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  9. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

1st I Love Marilyn and would buy such a coin... However I would expect it to be a cook island or isle of man coin.. I agree with jeff and green18.. actors on american coinage just rubs me the wrong way :D (Reagan being an exception lol)

-jeffB likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll refrain from arguing that all Presidents are also actors. :rolleyes:

ldhair, LakeEffect, green18 and 3 others like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The coin would have to be Gold, Silver, or Platinum before I would consider investing in her image.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Eh, Presidents to me are fine, especially founding fathers who risked everything for us, as well as TR and Eisenhower. Career politicians not so much. I just wish we honored non-politicians more, those like JP Morgan, Carnegie, Gates, Edison, etc.

Actors? Not so much. I view them not much higher than the ancient Romans did. I would say Jobs and Wozniak are much more worthy of such an honor, as are early abolitionists, scientists, etc.

Of course, any such conversations in this environment by definition seem to be polarizing, so maybe just punt due to the current environment and put on indigenous flora and fauna until we as a society can have civil discussions again.

Dima likes this.
  13. Dima

Dima Member

Hollywood has had their hand in US commemoratives in the past. I'm referring to the 1923 Monroe (no relation ;)) silver half dollar.

[​IMG]

upload_2023-6-1_12-20-54.png
    upload_2023-6-1_12-21-9.png

(Copied from 'A Guide Book of United States Commemorative Coins' by Q. David Bowers -- by the way, a monumentally interesting book to pick up if you don't already own it)

Edit- pictured coin is PCGS MS67, borrowed from CoinFacts; not my coin

-jeffB and longnine009 like this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Too many others that were soooo much better. This would not be for me. Jessica Tandy would be one of my top ten though.

15. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Norma Jean for me!

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Do you realize how much over melt they will charge you? It will be worse than the premium they charge for American Silver Eagles, which bad enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted