combibar.com, is it a good site?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Aslpride, Feb 22, 2013.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

90% Dimes. 2.25 grams each.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Yes, and that's what I said previously too -- silver dimes. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

4. rickmp

A damned good one, too.

5. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

rickmp: I agree that silver dimes are alternative way to use it.

Again, it's not hurt to explore the potential solution to it as there's no right or wrong in this discussion.

6. rickmp

True. But if you are just looking for protection in the event the dollar tanks, why buy the most expensive PM you can find? The dimes will be more acceptable than the break-offs, too.

7. doug444

It is February 2018, and you are OK because you're a stacker, and your sweet but clueless neighbors are nearly destitute. You let them move in, and they bring their cat. The dollar is worth 17% of what it was in 2013.

The cat wants to play, because it is finally off its spartan diet of saltines, chicken brains, and powdered milk, so you roll a silver dime across the linoleum for it to chase (try that with a silver bar).

Your neighbor retrieves the dime and says, "What's this?"

8. John14

John14 Active Member

I just think the breakaway rounds are interesting. If I had a safe full of silver dimes and ASE's that would be boring to me as a collector. (Although I do have a lot of silver dimes and ASE's ;))

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Your worried about having a problem with not being able to have correct weight but gold and silver are very soft. You could melt it with a simple hand torch and pour it into a mold and make whatever shape or size you desire they even sell them online. What you need sir is not a ridiculous premium but a graphite mold set.....:eek:

http://www.graphitesupplies.com/servlet/the-Graphite-Ingot-Molds/Categories

10. rickmp

One or two as a collectible or curiosity is OK.
    I'm thinking that stacking them as an investment is not.

11. doug444

And this is the essence of the argument:

"...boring to me as a collector..."

Your decision is between aesthetics and protection. These two mindsets do not get along very well together. There are thousands of WONDERFUL silver (and gold) bullion coins, out there, issued worldwide because it is highly profitable (or at least WAS). There is nothing wrong with collecting as many kinds as you can afford; but do not confuse this with protecting the purchasing power of your dollars into the coming decade.

This...time...it...is...different.

12. doug444

"...You could melt it with a simple hand torch and pour it into a mold and make whatever shape or size you desire they even sell them online"

=====
    I can't believe I'm reading this.

eBay Seller: "...and I made them myself."
    eBay Buyer: "...looks like melted tin foil off Hershey's Kisses. I'll give you 55c per ounce."

By the way:
    Melting point of gold = 1,948 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Melting point of silver = 1,763 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Don't try this at home.

13. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

14. doug444

Not for me. I have big problemos grilling steaks.

15. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I collect as many as I can get my hands on and I have never paid over spot for any breakable round. So there generally isnt a much of a premium on the silver like that. (I dont discriminate on silver based on its appearance or form as long as its identifiable and somewhat trackable)

To the poster who said something about melting your own silver/gold and making smaller rounds or pieces, well thats true, but whos to say your silver is pure? Or how pure for that matter? Will your simple word be good enough or will you go hungry because that person didnt believe you? Something to think about, and the general idea I was trying to get across is that homemade metals can create more controversy than they are worth, especially in a 'survival' scenario and no real way to test authenticity.

Heres a link for whoever asked for one:

http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver_stagecoach.php

See, no more of a premium than any other site on any generic silver round or bar.

16. treylxapi47

Its actually quite easy to play with silver at home, its also easy to purify and refine your own silver if you so choose, nothing more than a couple chemicals, some filters, a propane torch (small handhelds work fine), a couple potatoes, a nice hard heat resistant surface, and some time and instruction. I know it works as I did it myself with ZERO prior experience. So pretty much anyone could make whatever they needed, but like the point you made, who will trust what you say is true?

17. doug444

Yes, that's the Key -- U.S. "junk" dimes and quarters are indisputable, and I don't think the Chinese bother to counterfeit them.

Silver dollars? For bullion, wouldn't touch 'em. Just to show you they're not all experts in Shanghai, last year I saw a "silver" Bermuda crown, head of Elizabeth II, dated 1905, LOL LOL

18. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

potatos!

19. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

If it ever gets to a point where you have to trade PMs for food, you'd be better off investing in and stockpiling cans of beans.

Wouldn't be as cool as having a big ol' pile of gold and silver, but maybe more practical. :)

20. rickmp

Are you correcting the spelling?

21. treylxapi47

Yes a POTATO!

I didnt believe it either, but i stumbled across this article on another thread a couple years ago. Its quite interesting (and easy) to do. Definitely something to keep in mind if you ever find the need to refine your own

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread810904/pg1

Draft saved Draft deleted