combibar.com, is it a good site?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Aslpride, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

Hello everyone, it's good to be back. :)

I am current deciding to invest some metals and save them for future event of serious economic collapse. (It may or may not happen, but it's nice to have back up plan) Today, I found this site through google. Instead of buying a large bullion and will not able to cut share on it when in need. However, this site offer gold and silver with ability to break off when in need to use it. I would like to know if it's a good idea or not?

Link

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I wouldn't invest in that.

4. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

+1

5. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

I know that I would sound like a teacher, but you both stated, No. Why?

6. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

a small amount is always bad to invest in, unless you are just starting out. and i like agreeing with people 0.o

7. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Those combibars have a HUGE premium, it's at least 30 or 40% last I checked. not to mention I don't know how well people would accept them. Some people would think they're fake.

8. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

Buying coins/bullion for "investment" or "rainy day reserve" you do want to pay the very lowest possible premium on PMs.
    Looking at eBay and net the seller's 13%, average bullion premium for Ag is ~5% currently, abit less for Au, abit more for Pt/Pd.
    You can calc how much more or less you're willing to pay in a store and from reputable dealers online, accordingly. Provident, Apmex and a few other get recommended often.

Personally, looking at the PM mkt, I suppose Ag and Au will be significantly cheaper in a few months - but that's just my two cents. I could be wrong on that.

9. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

coingeek12: I agree with you that invest on small amount of metal isn't good start, but the concept of able breaking my metals when notes has turn to worthless. I don't want to give the whole bar or try to barter the bar. The plate is breakable which allow us to use some of them to buy something instead of the whole bar?

pballer225: You are correct as they sell them at premium price. It's to be expect due to cover labor cost. My other concern would be company's reputation and trustworthy. I don't know about this company and wonder if anyone from this forum has experience with them?

Juan Blanco: Yes, I agree as reputation is a key for our trust in the products to ensure that they are pure and real. In your opinion, 1 gram bar by reputation companies are better buy than buying from combibar? I still like the concept of buying some small portions of metals for transaction when the notes are worthless or it doesn't make any different with 1/10/100 oz bars? I agree ag/au are showing down in stock, but I wonder how much will it go down before go up? The reporters keep stating that ag will reach $50-$60 by this year, but will it?

10. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Buy junk silver dimes and you won't have to worry about "breaking them up."

11. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

doug444: Good point. :)

12. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

+1

Thats exactly what I do as well. I keep several rolls of dime and quarters just for any likely bartering scenarios.

This video has some relevance i think, and the part from 5:00-5:30 is my favorite. It truly makes me feel like modern day royalty when all my silver passes through my hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBq5seKa3wg

13. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

I VERY MUCH doubt that, "this year." IMO, we will likely see Ag under $25, maybe under $22, possibly (less likely) under $20.
    For the uS economy, I think a deflationary shock - followed by printing c.2014 - is the more probable scenario. PM will lead the way, then turn upwards when theaggressive/explosive reflationary binge starts again.

YES. It's gimmicky and the product premiums are too-dang high.

A few months ago, I introduced a thread on combibars to CT here: http://www.cointalk.com/t219249/

14. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

Juan Blanco: I wonder if they will not print more money as many people has pushing government print more money. If they print more money, then we can expect metals value go up. Will it happen this year? That's big question.

Thank you for the link. It wasn't appear in my previous search and I found out why. When I type combibar, your thread didn't appear, but combibars, it did. I agree that they charge premium and it's not bad idea either. The principle always applied to individual and bulk cost. The bigger bar will always get best deal than smaller ones. However, I wonder if it's logic to buy 10 oz silver bar and melt it to smaller bars?

15. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

I wonder if this link is a good idea to use for melting to a smaller bars?

16. John14

John14 Active Member

The silver Combibar 100g caught my eye. I like interesting and different things. On the site I can't get it to show me a price. Do you have to register to see? I assume from reading above that there is a high premium attached, but it also looks like there would be a very high shipping fee as well coming from Switzerland. - Have you ever seen the one ounce silver rounds that have the cross section on the reverse for 1/4 oz breakaways? Those are pretty cool too, less premium.

17. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I actually have a round or 2 like that John, and I love the idea of being able to break it in smaller parts if needed, AND having the fineness and producer marked on the smaller pieces as well, now thats a great idea.

I just realized they make the bars like that too, my LCS has a couple

18. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

John14: Thank you for your input. The price can be found from "Sale" tab, but it will lead to another site that sell them. Here's link. Yes, I did saw silver rounds with 1/4 oz breakaways as image, but I haven't see a site that sell it.

19. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

treylxapi47: Can you give us a link to a site that sell round silver breakaway coins? Thanks.

20. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Excuse me, this is CRAZY.

Forget about bars and rounds you can "break up". That went out with Pieces of Eight two centuries ago.

Just my opinion.

Incidentally, as I deal with a stamp dealer in Zurich, you will find the cost of shipping a silver bar fully-insured to be astronomical. And, it may be charged duty by U.S. Customs, depending on how it's described.

21. Aslpride

Aslpride Active Member

doug444: Everyone is entitle to their opinion included yours. :)

I understand your perspective on premium price. However, the idea isn't bad for able to break them when notes may being a worthless in future. Suppose economic has crashed and notes become worthless then how can you pay for a loaf of bread with 1 oz, 10 oz or 100 oz of silver bar? The loaf of bread may cost around 2.5 gram of silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted