Columbian Expo Commem GTG

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Apr 16, 2021.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Was drunk when I said that.

ddddd likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The 'true view' is notoriously deceptive. Foul!

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Ah, OK :)

ddddd likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am at a loss for words..... But I do own a shield nickel that has a lovely very light rainbow toning that looks almost neon red in the True-View so I know they are misleading.... Just wow.

ddddd likes this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Here's my lowly example :)

50C 1893 Columbian Expo.png

Bad photography gives it a copper/pink/reddish tone that is not even close to real. It's grey.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And all the more reason to buy coins 'in hand' and not through photogs alone.......

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

sorry

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Another example of the "Un-true View"

brg5658 and ddddd like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I posted the reveal less than 24 hours after starting the thread. Or were you referring to something else?

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

After seeing the TV's, here and another thread VS the real deal. I am not impressed. Not only is the market getting softer but the TV's are getting better. This is not acceptable. What do you say @baseball21 ?

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@physics-fan3.14 I am not asking for an argument, but I am an antagonist. I feel that there is not enough info to go from in the TV's.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It doesn't cartwheel? It just shines back at you, like a flashlight? If it cartwheels, they're idiots, they got this dead wrong.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

There is some cartwheeling but it's not as strong as I'd expect.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Then they're straining detailing it when it's got surface luster left. They're trying to be detectives, not graders.

ddddd likes this.
  17. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I agree it looks 'polished' (or something) more than what typically gets the 'cleaned' designation. The obverse surface looks (as you say) off/weird, almost like it was over dipped and then polished?

I still love the strike, and would be happy to have it.

ddddd likes this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've said for many years that the so-called "true" views are really just glamor shots. I'm not sure I would have guessed cleaned - but I was leaning towards questionable color.

This coin has problems, and some of these are evident in the trueviews, some are more evident in the candid shot DD posted later.

First, the candid shot DD posted clearly shows unnatural surfaces. There were polished or cleaned. If you take an image at just the right angle, with just the right lighting, you can hide a lot of that.

However, take a look at the right side of the obverse field on the TV. See that darker area in the fields? These darker areas are how "mirrored" or reflective surfaces read in many images. Now, you could interpret this as a prooflike surface - or it might be a polished surface.

But this coin has several other warning signs which are evident in the TV, and they all have to do with the "toning":

On the obverse, notice how there is deep, dark toning around the letters around the periphery - but literally no toning in the fields or central devices. The center appears very bright and shiny. This indicates one of two things - it was stored in an extremely sulfur heavy holder which touched the rims, or the centers were polished. But there's another clue - the shade and type of toning. Almost every time I've ever seen those shades of burnt orange leading to that shade of red and that shade of blue, it's been on a cleaned coin which has retoned (and often had help retoning). Memorize that color pattern, because it means nothing good.

On the reverse, we have several other problems. Look at the left, around the ship's prow, the "14" and the "S" of world's. Around the devices is a wide white area, but the devices are toned. Look around the globes and to the right below the "92". See how the toning doesn't follow a pattern, but looks more like something spilled on it? And finally, look to the right fields behind the ship. See that mottling, spotty appearance?

All three of these are *classic* signs of a bad artificial toning job.

All that to say - this coin clearly has problems. Would I have jumped to "cleaned"? Maybe not. Solely from the beauty shots I would have called it questionable color. But PCGS had a wide variety of options for which category to bag this coin.

19. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

All those "obvious" signs, and yet, nobody guessed 'Details' of any type.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sorry. Don't know what I was thinking.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

No worries. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted