Colorful Maundy 2-Pence

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Colorful Maundy 2-Pence
    Last night I bought a 4-coin 1933 Maundy coin set. Basically, the colorful 2-Pence drew me to the purchase. I hope you enjoy the photo & I’d really like to hear your opinions on its value.

The 1, 3, & 4 Pence are brighter in appearance and include some old obverse hairlines & nice golden reverse toning. Apparently, the 2 Pence was spared the hairlines. The 2 Pence is worthy of being displayed on its own & I’m feeling reluctant to break up the set.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

That is awesome!:bigeyes: I have a habit of paying too much but I would have no problem paying 30 or 40 dollars.:smile

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Don't break it up, these sets are being broken up all the time and there are few complete sets left. They are not quite as popular as they were a few years ago and thus prices have stabalized somewhat. But I have little doubt that they will continue to increase over time.

These coins are well known for spectacular toning. Some of the sets I used to own were drop dead gorgeous !

5. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Do you have the original purse it came in?

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I purchased only the four coins in four clean 2x2s. Is it believed that the original purse caused the toning found on Maundy money?

Very best regards,
    collect89

7. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

The purse probably caused the toning but youcan't really know, but the set would be worth more in the original purse.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

VERY appealing coin.
    And that comment comes from someone who doesn't particularly care for toned coins.

I used to have a 1937 set from the George VI era.
    But it wasn't in the original holder.

9. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Don't know what it's worth but I want it!

Don't know what it's worth but I want it!

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I am with Doug please dont break the set up :high5: Great looking 2d :hug:

11. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Draft saved Draft deleted