color Kennedy and weird reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by sambyrd44, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

Here is an odd Kennedy Half. The color though nice sure is not natural to clad coins.
    I think maybe heat or chemical or both and maybe not by intent was the reason though its a left field guess. The Obverse has some wear more so the the reverse maybe it was in a furnace or dryer for some time , who knows about this one anyone's guess.

The reverse is sort of interesting in that there are signs of die erosion yet there are some indicators of the shelf type doubling as well. Its not uncommon to see various ddo and ddr among Kennedy Half dollars this series is not real popular so many varieties just don't get any attention unless pre -1970 or dramatic errors.

Don't really know what to think of the coin. Its been in my odds and ends box for 7 or 8 years or better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like A.T. to me. wait for other opinions.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The weird reverse is machine doubling which is quite common on 1971 and 1972 P&D Kennedy's. As for the color? At that stage of wear, it doesn't really matter but CnClad coins have a tendency toward pastel colors. I get very skeptical of oranges.

and Lemons.............:angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted