Color correcting TPG'd images

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dave M, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I was reading a thread on CU about correcting for scanner color issues, and had a brilliant idea (until someone shoots it down :) ). I couldn't figure out how to create an account there, so I thought I'd post it here and claim first publication of the idea.

The problem is that scanners will all scan with a bit of a different coloring, and more dramatically a scan through a TPG's plastic can also impart that greenish color to the note. All said and done, the resulting scan may not look much like the original note. Not only is that a pain for the owner, but an unscrupulous seller can (as we've seen many times), "adjust" the color and brightness of an image to make it look newer or cleaner than it really is.

The answer, as I see it, might be quite simple. If the TPG's would include on their label, an area of 18% gray, this could be deemed the color balance constant, just like photographers use a gray card all the time. Someone looking at a scan would simply need to color correct that square area to 18% gray in order to adjust the image back to original color. If the gray was behind a tinted plastic, all the better - the color correction would remove the tint. Photoshop, and probably other editors, have this adjustment as a single button-click, since it's such a common need for photographers.

Not to say someone couldn't fake the gray color, but certainly it would be a bit difficult to do, and this could certainly solve an issue for anyone legitimately trying to recover the accurate coloring of a banknote in a holder. It could be a significant selling point for the TPG who used it, I'd think.

Fire away, perhaps I've missed something!

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

There is a much easier way and one all TPGs can do. And that is to offer an online authentication photo archive. I know they let you check on the item by serial number, but I don't see why they can't upload a picture of the actual item. I mean you are paying them for a service, a extra picture can't cost them too much.

4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I'm not sure managing that archive would be easier than printing a gray square on their label, but yes, if they maintained that archive and it was correctly color managed, I agree, it would accomplish the same thing.

Dave

5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I don't think it would be that hard. They have all the information on their site for the verification service, an added image is all thats needed on the same page. And PCGS have Photograde, I imagine it would be something similar.
    You also have to remember, anything on their label can be manipulated whether it be photoshopped or faked. There are tons of people out there with lots of experience in changing pictures. And there are lots of counterfeiters (China) out there making fake examples of coins, paper money and PCGS/ NGC slabs.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

True, but I'm not suggesting this is an anti-counterfeiting technique or something. It would be a way for the owner of the slab or a potential buyer to get an accurate color scan of the note.

Dave

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

You'd also be dependant on the TPG to properly scan the note - no guarantees there. I will tell you the notes I get from Heritage differ slightly in color from their pics and they are considered the go-to for online note scans. Lighting can throw the notes color well off depending if it's natural light or warm incandescent, paper can really shift into the red.

Draft saved Draft deleted