colonials

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1793 large cent, May 10, 2010.

1. i was just wondering if anyone knew if mintages for colonials existed????:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

My guess is that the editors of the Red Book don't provide any mintage figures for pre-US coinage because they have found no reliable source for that information.

On the other hand, if the Spanish mints in Mexico City, Potosi, and many other New World locations are included in your definition of "colonials", the Standard Catalog of World Coins does give mintages for many products of those mints.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

hontonai:

Agreed, about the colonial mintages, that is.

:)

5. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

"colonials" covers a pretty broad spectrum of time and geography.

What "colonials" did you have in mind? There are contract records for some dates/series.

6. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

There are some rough numbers and estimations. Off the top of my head, for instance, Wood's patent granted him authorization to produce a certain gross tonnage of weight for his Rosa Americanas. Using planchets to pounds, one could derive the authorized amount of coinage. That said, however, there is speculation of course, as to what actual amounts were produced.

Other examples exist too. Numbers that I have seen are in various books such as Breen's, Martin's, and Whitman's, among others.

Do you have either of those books in your library? If not, and you're pursuing Colonials (and Early American/Pre-Federals for that matter), I strongly recommend acquiring them as well as any others you can get your hands on.

7. thanks cheetahcats looks like i have some book buying to do =)

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Did you try a google search??

9. yup couldnt find much

10. CheetahCats

Any coinage you're particularly interested in?

11. colonials from connecticut,massachusetts,and rosa americana mostly

12. CheetahCats

Connecticut will be very tough - I'd say impossible.. too many different private mints involved. Connecticut was a 'free for all', authorized or not.

Rosa Americana - Breen's indicates 100 tons were authorized @ 30 twopence = 60 pence = 120 halfpence to the pound. Though numbers published for specimen weights don't match this... It is surmised that Wood skimped on weight and actually minted 'light'; hence perhaps more may have been minted. (There was a bit of Tom Foolery going on with respect to his patent too - King George's mistress decided she wanted to be in the game, and Wood had to grease her Royal palms to make his warrant actually happen.)

Massachusetts - Whitman's indicates $2500 in both Massachusetts cents and half cents were reported as minted (at that time).

13. thanks for the info =) whats your favorite type of colonial?

14. CheetahCats

Welcome.

Early American/Pre-Federal - Vermont Landscape varieties
    Colonial - Rosa Americana

Draft saved Draft deleted