Colonial Pound

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This paper money had been in my collection for 10 years. It's a Nigerian pound from the time of the British rule there in Africa. I see no date on it. Today I've been offered a plenty of them but do not have an idea on their values. I wish someone could tell me the approximate price of the following paper. Gratefully.. Nig 1P 001.jpg Niger 1 R 001.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    7Calbrey likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

If it is Nigeria it is post-independence. Prior to independence it was British West Africa.

NOS, 7Calbrey and daveydempsey like this.
  6. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

7. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Ten still available from dealer as of this post. I like 7Calbrey's better.

7Calbrey likes this.
  8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Interesting papers with that red Indian color..
    During the British rule, the currency was the pound, reminiscent of the English Sterling pound. Later during independence, the national currency became the
    Naira. Maybe the above papers were issued during a transitory period, just few years after independence since they are denominated as pounds even after independence.
    BTW.. I just scanned the reverses of 3 similar papers. The first two seem to have somewhat a little distinguished serial number. The third paper has a big red arc within the white circle. Could these papers have a higher value. I'm still new in this attractive section. Thanks for any of your kind comments. Redpoun.jpg Redpod R.jpg RedpArc.jpg

9. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted