colonial currency price question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by thepersonman, Jul 3, 2015.

1. thepersonman

thepersonman collecter of coins

I'm thinking about purchasing this 1771 10 Shillings Pennsylvania Currency 3/20/1771. It's graded vf-15 by pcgs. I don't usually purchase notes, but the history really intrigued me and it fit in my price range. It costs $145. Is this a reasonable price for the bill?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thepersonman

4. thepersonman

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have no idea, but I don't collect bills and I still think that's cool. I'd frame that and hang it if I owned it.

7. thepersonman

It has the inscription " To counterfeit is death". I think it's pretty cool.

8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Just for fun, I Googled one of the names (the second signature) on the OP's bill, Jacob Shoemaker, and found a brief bio:

"Jacob Shoemaker, Jr. was a Quaker and an early member of the independence movement in Philadelphia. He signed the Non-Importation Resolution, which was a promise not to import British goods until the Stamp Act was lifted. He was also involved in the abolition movement, and was a member of the electing committee for Pennsylvania Abolition Society. Shoemaker married Elizabeth Roberts in 1724, and acted as sheriff of Philadelphia between 1770 and 1772."

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. thepersonman

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yes it is, especially graded. Solid price.

Draft saved Draft deleted