COLONIAL COINS - Post Yours Please

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Apr 17, 2021.

1. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Great coins! Thanks for posting them!

Jack D. Young and johnmilton like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I love history, so obviously I very much appreciate your coins. Thanks for posting.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

5. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well, this is not real, or I am sure it can not be but..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

7. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Well, those who know me probably suspect the elephant token I posted is not genuine- just check the cert number!

And this one may be a little "off" as well:cool:...

74878551_2423025781289786_7707020230840549376_o.jpg
    75328684_2423025794623118_6316398472815706112_n.jpg
    74465151_2422108278048203_7147659676077785088_o.jpg

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Jack, that is really scary. If that piece is bad, they have gotten their "art" down the inclusion of planchet defects, which are common on these coins. I detect that the lettering is not as crisp as it should be. I post pictures of this one which I bought over 30 years ago. Note that the lettering is crisp and clear although the centers are weak.

CT Copper O.jpg

CT Copper R.jpg

9. Jack D. Young

johnmilton likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

An altered date actually a minor problem compared with the Chinese counterfeits. At least you are getting something that is 200+ years old.

As for the Connecticut coppers, I would be the last one to ask. One look at the Miller varieties and I get a headache. I have one for type, and that’s it. I’m done.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

954C933D-CD89-49A6-A4AF-10727F238FA2.jpeg D2C090A9-56A0-47CB-9FAC-ABD06507DEE1.jpeg

It’s not as impressive as some of the coins here, but it cost me a whopping $7 and it actually looks pretty nice, if a bit porous.

Beefer518 and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'll bet you didn't expect to see any ancients in this thread, but since the term "colonial" refers to coins struck for a colony, and the Greeks and Romans had colonies of their own, well, here you go...

Greece (Spartan colony in Taras, Calabria, Italy): silver drachm, ca. 302-281 BC
    (NGC XF; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5)
    [​IMG]

Roman Egypt (Alexandria): billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, ca. 117-138 AD; canopic jar of Osiris

(Raw)
    [​IMG]

Roman Egypt: billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, Year 15 (130-131 AD); Hadrian receiving corn ears from Alexandria
    (Raw)
    [​IMG]

Mexico: silver 8-reales "cob" of Charles II, ca. 1665-1682, from the 1682 "Johanna" shipwreck off South Africa
    (PCGS Fine Details, environmental damage; wreck pedigree on label)
    [​IMG]

Bolivia (Spanish Colonial): silver "cob" type 1-real coin of Charles II, 1694 VR, Potosí mint
    (PCGS VF25)
    [​IMG]

Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 8 reales ("Pillar Dollar"), 1761-Mo-MM, Mexico City mint
    (PCGS AU50)
    [​IMG]

French Colonies: copper sou of Louis XV, 1767, with post-revolutionary 1793 "RF" counterstamp
    (PCGS F15 host coin; counterstamp graded XF on label)
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, another Spanish Colonial cob, this one from Peru. I didn't own it long enough to get any decent pictures of it.

[​IMG]

13. lordmarcovan

Wood's Hibernia for seven bucks? I'd go there all day long.

Cheech9712 and Omegaraptor like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

15. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Show off, lol.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I love showing off coins. Don't go to shows anymore and there are no clubs or anything like that in my area, so online is all I've got.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Considering the original is unique (i.e., there is only one, and it belongs to the Massachusetts Historical Society), then yeah, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that one isn't it. ;)

18. CoinJockey73

Trust me, I'm jealous. I wish i knew 30+ years ago that there was this numismatic world out there. Now I'm 50, and i have to play catch up with you young whippersnappers, lol.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

I've got five-plus years on you, whippersnapper. Of course I'm not yet quite the fossil that some of us are around here. ;)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  20. CoinJockey73

Yikes! I have to get used to thought that I'm not the "old man" around here, like i seem to be everywhere else i hang out, lol. My apologies, i always show the utmost respect to my elders, ;). I'll still be playing catch up, till the day this all ends, lol.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Jack D. Young

One of my favorites in my collection; not technically a "restrike"!

Restrike.jpg
    $_57.JPG

INDE1977, JimsOkay, markr and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted