Collector`s Depression

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin-crazy, Sep 25, 2010.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

This thread is for us guys that are having a bad time roll searching,buying,selling,outbidden,ect.No matter how old the story is, use this thread to vent and let some of us know the hardships of not getting what "WE" want!! How many boxes have you`ve went through and ended up disappointed? Just got your dream coin and found out its a fake? One of your relatives did you a favor and cleaned all your valuable coins? LoL..:dead-horse:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Great Idea. OK my last 3 boxes of cents didn't give me much at all. A few common Canadians, etc.

The disappointment was that all but 14 rolls in one box were new rolls of 2010 D. And 30 rolls were them in the next box. That's a lot of brand new cents to go through. Kind of a waste of time getting back and forth to the bank.

gary

4. coin-crazy

Wow Gary your right, the 2010 cents are a disappointment. So far ,nothing good in finding errors there.And 3 boxes? Yes you are feeling this coin depression..

5. Derekg

Derekg Member

Im mad i haven't gotten any silver in my halves latley :'( since i only get a box per week that means only 4 boxes a month and no silver for a month already.

6. coin-crazy

Gess!!!

7. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

Whan my grandfather died I was asked to go through his coin collection. I was shocked by how "common" everything was. I always assumed there would be rarities and gold and other unique items after 50 years of collecting. When I mentioned my surprise to my uncle who got the coins over to me, his answer was that all of the valuable coins had been lost during a prior theft that I had never been told of.

8. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

I am angry when I find a Rail Splitter Cent. So many varieties to search! I have found some goodies though out of three rolls that I searched the other day:

1973D-1MM-003
    D/D Tilted

1974-S

1979D-1MM-002
    D/D Rotated CW

1984P-1DR-001
    Class 2

1986D-1MM-007
    D/D West

1987D-1MM-009
    D/D West

1973D-1MM-003
    D/D Tilted

1974D-1DO-002
    Class 6

1979D-1MM-002
    D/D Rotated CW

2006P-1DO-008
    Class 9

2007P-1??-00?
    Discovery Piece

2009 P Professional Life BU

2009 P Presidency AU

1942 P Lincoln Cent EF

1963D-1MM-006
    Class 4

1968P-1DO-004
    Class 2

1970 D Lincoln Cent w/ Cud in 0 in 1970

1971P-1DO-004
    Class 1

1982P-1DO-003
    Class 6

1984 P Lincoln Cent w/ Doubled B in LIBERTY

1989 P Lincoln Cent w/ cud in A in AMERICA

1999P-1DR-004
    Class 9

2009 P Cabin Cent AU/ BU

2009 P Rail Splitter Cent AU/ BU

2009 P Rail Splitter Cent AU/ BU

2009 P Presidency Cent BU

2009 P Presidency Cent AU/ BU

9. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Are you sure that you aren't getting the same boxes back each time? It is possible...

10. Derekg

Derekg Member

i don't dump the coins in the same bank i order from. Infact some bank tellers in my city don't even know what half dollars are cause we never see them in circulation. I use to order from wells fargo but i then switched to ordering from a local bank and ever since i stop getting coins..do all coin orders come from the same place from all the banks?

11. coin-crazy

Im mad you had to slap us in the face with all that...Shame on you!!!

12. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I have been lucky enough to have a great job. There was plenty of overtime that I could work to support my collecting and silver hoarding. Since mid year the extra cash has vanished due to cutbacks and the economy. Being a family man with 3 kids and no extra cash has ground the collecting to a slow crawl. I still roll search and buy gas with the leftovers for fun but not being able to treat myself with 2 or 3 nice PCGS slabs and a few raw ASE a month is killing me

13. debordj

debordj Debo

Any chance your uncle was in on the job?

14. Aggiecollector

Aggiecollector Junior Member

OK, I definitely have one just from last week. I stopped in one of my local banks that I have been going in for over year. I know all the tellers and the bankers. The tellers save coins for me and have even called me when they get big group turned in. Well, last week I walk in and one of the tellers says "Hey you know about coins right?" She proceeds to tell me one of the bankers (Who I have talked to many times) left 10 minutes ago to go to a jewelry shop that bought coins Her dad had passed away recently and she knew nothing about the coins. Apparently, she had a BRIEFCASE FULL of old coins silver and gold. I think I went pale and asked if she was selling them or just getting an idea of value. I told them their was no way she would get a good price from the shop. They scrambled to find her cell number to call her but it had recently changed and they did not have the new one. I left sick hoping she was only checknig prices. I went back the next day...she sold a bunch of the coins................ They offered her $1 each for her silver quarters and $4 for her 90% halves. I do not know what other prices he paid her as that was all she remembered. She sold a lot according to the guy as I went to the store to see if he was re-selling any of it...He said some of them were BU but he did not want to mess with selling them, he had melted all of them that night....

I am still sick about it....

Erin

15. mit26chell

mit26chell New Member

16. coin-crazy

OMG--> after reading that story ,my mouth dropped..:eek:

17. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Two things have frustrated me recently: 1. Early this year my parents were visiting my grandmother and they saw a bottle on the dresser labeled "Indian Head Cents." So my mom asked my grandmother who they belonged to and she said it belonged to my step-grandfather, who had passed away. She didn't want them so she said I could have them. So I was really excited, and when I got them I found they had all been cleaned with some kind of chemical that is still on them and has a very strong smell and leaves your hands smelling like it for hours after you touch them, and also there were no really good dates. Almost all were from the 1900s.

The second is just the fact that I started seriously buying coins at the wrong time in my opinion. I am trying to complete basic sets of all types of coins. Now since silver is so high, I'm looking at paying $4-$5 for common Washington quarters, whereas a few years ago I could have paid a lot less. But I don't know for sure if silver will go back down, so if I don't buy now, it might keep going up.

18. coin-crazy

Wow--> talk about being disappointed , annoyed all in one...My eyes blood..

19. mark v

mark v Junior Member

I understand you fully. I'm thinking the same things.

Draft saved Draft deleted