Collection reset

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jul 24, 2016.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I think I want to sell my current collection and restart everything , if you had a choice between 10 coins what would you keep.. definitely keeping both 09s vdbs, 1787 fugio. And the 72 ddo series

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

My 10 favorite

4. kaosleeroy108

1783 fugio

spirityoda and dwhiz like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

why the reset ? new interests ?

John runte likes this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

Want to put things in a new direction previous I just amassed what interested me on a no planned level... now I want to get rarities mainly

John runte and spirityoda like this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If it were me I'd tighten up the criteria a bit.
    Actually my "window" of interest is moving a bit.
    I'm selling (or have sold) all my 20th century keys/semi-keys.
    Most of my interest revolves around US business strikes from 1793 through about 1857 (except for IHC's).

And grades (think cost) are a serious consideration.

John runte likes this.
  8. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

The few gold coins I have and the best coins I have that are prior to 1950. I would make sure to keep a variety as this is what I enjoy to see in my collection.

9. kaosleeroy108

I may just narrow down my keep pile to the major rarities of the 19th an 20th century

10. kaosleeroy108

Have few gold coins

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I am not sure if that is a question or a statement? To clarify, I have 3 gold coins stored safely in a Bank Safe Deposit Box that I would not part with.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I reset my collection about once a decade it seems. Just start going off on another direction. I am a hoarder, though, so I never sell what I have, just change directions.

So coins I would keep? All of them. :(

coinzip, Kentucky, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Amen on the last part. I've only been collecting for a decade or so though and I've changed my direction so many times I lost count.

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I found myself reseting after about 16 years of collecting. going on 18 years and I found out that I have slowed down a lot of the modern stuff. The main focus now is 18th and 19th century. why you ask ? because they have much more interesting designs and have more scarcity to them. unfortunately a higher price too.:greedy: lol it is good to have such focus. when I first started out I was all over the place. I have sold some coins for other coins, but mostly ended up keep all of them. down the road I see myself selling half of the modern stuff for older coins. I still enjoy collecting modern "coins with insects". that's the beauty of coin collecting... you can always go in a new direction.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about resetting, I changed direction from U.S. to Ancients but still wrestle with selling off my U.S. The Dansco of Peace dollars will likely go unfinished.

16. kaosleeroy108

I got mostly modern stuff no early gold

17. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

You should think carefully about your change in direction because "unnecessary" selling is expensive and will eat up a lot of your collection budget.

When I resumed collecting in 1998, I evaluated what was available in Krause, what different US coins cost and what I could buy that I both liked and thought I could realistically afford, both then and later.

If you are going to purchase actual rarities from US coinage, you better have a huge budget because none of them are affordable to the overwhelming percentage of collectors.

Outside of specialization (such as errors and die varieties) which is how most US collectors define rarity today, the only actually rare 20th century US coins are in patterns, the 1913 LHN, proof gold and a low number of Indian Head Eagles and Saints.

spirityoda and Santinidollar like this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Focus...what's that?

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Something that changes quite often.:woot:

Kentucky likes this.
  20. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sell most of what you got. Chances are that you still like something about the coins and will regret selling them later. Maybe sell a few and pick up some new stuff. I'd look into world coins. There's so much in this area, you never have to reset.

spirityoda likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's healthy to sell off parts of your collection. You learn a lot from selling.

Draft saved Draft deleted