Collection or accumulation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by beaver96, Jan 13, 2021.

1. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Jim , you just need to tell her you weren't buying, you were investing for her future.

Jim Dale and johnyb like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Hi, My name is Mike and I too am a numisaholic. I've had to add safes to keep the stuff in. Then corners of rooms, selves, displays, etc. for that that doesn't fit in the safes. I'm seriously considering continuing down the same path with a revised goal. If I can't complete the sets I'm working on, I stand a good chance of being featured on a future episode of "Horders" on A&E. Good luck with your addicition....

4. Mike Thornton

+1

Jim Dale likes this.
  5. Mike Thornton

I would have to respectively disagree. If it's in a pile on a desk, chair or the ground it's an accumulation. If it's in a tub, it is clearly organized and therefore a collection.

Jim Dale likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

When does a honest collection become just an accumulation? I watched an old rerun of Storage Wars last night and Jarod bought a locker with two safes. Upon opening them, there was a mishmash of coins and currency. From the looks of it, the original owner was a late night TV watcher that bought every new item presented, thinking they would be valuable to add to his collection. Sad, but the "expert" coin guy appraised the whole lot at around $4,000.

7. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I need a 12 step program for my numismatic addiction. I just crossed the 12,000 mark for number of coins 16% are which US coins 84% foreign. Common foreign coins are so cheap.

My coins are pretty organized...albums, folders, 2X2s in red boxes and binders. It's the OCD in me.

LakeEffect likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Only if you know what is in the tub.

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My wife and I have had a looooong talk about my coin collection. I think she really has a better look at my hobby. She feels it is a great investment, because I have kept up with the purchase price (with my documentation and receipts of all the coins I have purchased. She thinks that most of them are very "pretty." I think what probably turned the tide, is when she got a 24K 24" neckless for Christmas. I showed her how much the neckless cost as well as how much my profit was on a gold coin that I sold. I bought a 2017 W 1/10th ounce AGE a while back for $180 and I sold it to a man that was just starting his coin collection for $340, a gain of $160. Anyway, now she wants me to sell some more coins so she can have a diamond bracelet. No matter how you look at it, she's going to win.

10. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

I like shiny things. I am not a hoarder, but I do have number of coffee cans filled with coins being used as door stops.

Jim Dale likes this.
  11. skully53

skully53 #FJB

I came into my overwhelming amount of coins, proofs and tokens due to the passing of a family member. I have tried to learn. I have tried to sort and separate. I am just about done dealing with it without getting much closer to answers to my questions and inquiries here. I am very close to taking it all to a junk dealer except for the silver I have found. If I had more time, I would go ahead and build the forge which I have most of the makings. I doubt thousands of foreign coins from hundreds of countries will be missed on the market.

Just a thought, but I am not quite there yet. I know there are some coins I have that are worth something. But, not having even been through 20% of them, I hold some hope. I could be hooked, but that worm isn't getting me to bite hard.

12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't remember (I am a spry 73 year old, my memory is not tho.) if this has been added by anyone. I have standard sized boxes that I got from Bags Unlimited, that I keep most of my coins in. Each box is labeled A, B, C, ETC. All coins that have been bought from the Mint is in Box A. There are so many that I now have the rest in Box G. I have all of my foreign coins in Box C. Box B has all of my NGC certified coins in them. All of my PCGS certified coins are in Box D. It also has coins graded by other companies. I also include none graded coins that are special, i.e., Morgans, Peace, and Eisenhower Dollars. Another box has all of my non-graded silver coins, WW II Silver Nickels, Mercury & FDR Silver Dimes, Silver Quarters, and Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Franklin Half Dollars, and Silver Kennedy Half Dollars.
    If I have other silver coins, this is the place. Another box for special coins that are not silver or any other precious metals. Although it sounds like a lot, it has taken me years to set this up and it is yet to be complete. I use Excel to keep up with my inventory. Box Z is for all the very special coins that are rare or just plain pretty.
    Thanks to everyone that has contributed to learning how to look at all my coins through the very special glasses that you use to teach us how to keep up with our coins, as well as many other ways to enhance our inventory. You are all very, very special angels that help us when we need to be chastized, taught, or just listen. Again, thank you.

dick haumann likes this.
  13. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

After reading most of the posts it's true were all a little crazy but, I like to think a good kind of crazy. There are guys like Bob Simpson who spent millions on his collection. Which may be the finest ever put together. Then there are guys that are focused on a series or type. Then you get guys like me that bounces around a bit. I focus on some series but, I get a coin fix by buying some interesting coins at low cost just because I like the design. Some of those low cost coins I like to give away to people that may become a collector in the future. The final collector type is only a horder. They tend to buy everything with no consideration of rarity or actual value. There is nothing wrong with any of types I mentioned. As long as your having fun do what you like.

Draft saved Draft deleted