Collection Aims for 2019?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 7, 2018.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I got an early start with this Nero from Ken Dorney:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 356, 66-67AD, (36mm, 24.8gm)

BMCRE Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 114, 66-67AD,
    Obverse depiction: Nero, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Personification of Roma seated left on cuirass
    resting elbow on shield and holding spear, helmet behind

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Perfectly centered with full, clear legends and good detail. Those strengths compensate for the surface porosity. Very nice addition.

jamesicus likes this.
  4. jamesicus

Thank you Gavin - just the way I like ‘em!

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I'm surprised so many people have commented on general goals or a sense of randomness. It's how I collect for the most part. I buy what speaks to me. I am however still looking for sestertii or large bronzes of the 12 Caesars. In particular I would like to find a Caligula sisters sestertius that I can afford. If only I had more money!

Roman Collector and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am of the opinion that if the population of genuine and decent looking three sisters sestertii were to increase tenfold that the demand would keep the price at current levels. Many coins we see are defective, ugly, fake or tooled and many of us have written off the possibility of ever owning one. If all in that status were encouraged to begin an active hunt for a coin, the price would not go down. I'd like one. I don't see it happening.

Nerva, Deacon Ray and panzerman like this.
  7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I agree. There have been a few this year, but none that fit my criteria which include many factors including eye appeal (which is certainly a very personal thing). I refuse tooling. Smoothing is slightly acceptable, but is entirely dependent on each situation. The main problem is that tooling and smoothing has become fairly acceptable these days, and I prefer them as they really were originally. I am always amazed at such coins which command huge prices, often with neither modification mentioned. Unadulterated base metal coins are becoming harder to find.

8. Ryma5

Ryma5 New Member

What do you think?

Attached Files:

panzerman likes this.
  9. jamesicus

I will include some of my existing sestertii ……………

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CAIUS (CALIGULA), SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 51, 40-41AD, (35mm, 26.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Personification of Pietas, seated left
    Obverse Inscription: C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG PM TRP IIII PP In exergue: PIETAS
    Reverse depiction: Caligula standing left holding patera over altar - attendants (victimarius) on either side holding bull for sacrifice - hexastyle temple of Divus Augustus festooned
    with garlands in background (Temple Dedication commemoration)
    Reverse Horizontal Inscription: {small lettering} DIVO AVG and below: S C (left and right)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. jamesicus

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 112, 50-54AD (36mm, 28.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Claudius, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    Inscription in four lines:
    EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS
    By decree of the Senate - the title of Pater Patriae (Father of the Country) - and for recalling from exile and restoring the civil liberties and property of those Citizens banished by Caligula.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Looks fake

12. jamesicus

I will include some of my existing sestertii ……………

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC VOl. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome No. 99, 41-50 AD, (36mm, 25.3gm)
    Reverse depiction: Personification of Spes (Goddess of hope)
    holding flower in right hand and demurely raising skirt with left hand

13. Silverlock

Silverlock Well-Known Member

This year was all about reinventorying everything. Now that I know what I have, I think that someone else will get more enjoyment out of some of the coins than I do. To that end I'll be giving away about a third of my collection. Should be fun.

14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

If you are looking for serious feedback on this coin, you will have better luck cropping and combining better photos and posting it in a completely new thread. Also:

1. What do you mean by "What do you think?" Are you asking about whether the coin is real or fake? Or if the Cubs have a chance to win the World Series? I assume the former, but be specific in your query.
    2. What is the weight? Often weight can help determine authenticity.
    3. Where did you get it? At what price? This particular coin is rare and highly desirable. If you got it for $24.99 on eBay, you probably have your answer.

Giving readers a bit more about the coin will likely result in some helpful feedback for you.

My initial reaction is that the coin does not look ancient to my eyes, but I'm not an expert in first-century denarii, and the photos aren't particularly good.

15. jamesicus

British Imitative Claudius Sestertius

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Imitating BMCRE, Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 120, 41-45AD (38mm, 29.2gm)
    Countermarked PROB
    Mattingly note - Cmk. in oblong incuse in front of neck and face; end of legend obliterated
    Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    Inscription in four lines:
    EX SC
    O B
    C I V E S
    SERVATOS
    (within Civic Oak Wreath)

Enlargement of PROB countermark:

[​IMG]

PROB (Probatum = approved) countermark. An irregular issue coin (struck from locally made unofficial dies). Note the flattened and bulged area on the reverse resulting from the very heavily struck countermark on the obverse which was carelessly positioned almost off the flan. The inscriptional lettering on the reverse is somewhat uneven and not very well formed.

16. jamesicus

Nero countermarked and issued Claudius aes coinage in order to extend the supply of money in Britain after the death of Claudius.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BMCRE, Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 123, 41-45AD (35mm, 22.3gm)
    Countermarked NCAPR in oblong incuse rectangle behind head (unknown mark on head)
    Reverse depiction: Triumphal arch surmounted by equestrian statue of Nero Claudius Drusus

Enlargement of NCAPR countermark:

[​IMG]

This coinage was usually countermarked NCAPR - which is interpreted different ways by collectors and researchers, with the most popular and frequently used interpretations being Nero Caesar Augustus Probavit or Nero Caesar Augustus Populo Romano. Countermarked coins usually show much wear for they were widely circulated for considerable lengths of time.

17. jamesicus

British imitative Claudius Spes sestertius:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pangeri 85d, (30mm, 15.2gm)
    Countermarked DV (denoting half value) on obverse.

Enlargement of DV countermark:

[​IMG]

This is a devaluation countermark indicating this coin is re-valued as a Dupondius (half value) due to its very low weight. Note edge chisel mark on the obverse at approx. 3 o'clock which is always present on DV countermarked coins.

And with this posting
    I have now completed the depictions of my Julio-Claudian sestertius collection as it exists now at the end of the year 2018. I am now ready to start off 2019 with a few more sestertius additions.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

100% confident that it's a FAKE.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sometimes I get depressed by the spammers and drop in 'what is it worth' crowd but then someone comes along and teaches me something I find interesting that makes it all worthwhile. I did not know that!
    rb1070b02403alg.jpg

TIF, Alegandron, Justin Lee and 4 others like this.
  20. jamesicus

Oops, I forgot one (old age fog, sorry)!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 109, 42-43AD (38mm, 28.0gm)
    Obverse depiction: Nero Claudius Drusus (father of Claudius), bare head facing left
    Reverse depiction: Claudius seated left on curule chair holding olive branch,
    panoply of weapons and armor beneath (Claudius attempting to show he was a warrior just like his father?).

(Really great inscriptional lettering on this coin - that is one reason I wanted to own it)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  21. jamesicus

Well that goes a little way toward making up for all the things I have learned from @dougsmit!

Draft saved Draft deleted