Collecting Wheat Cents

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by icollectoldmoney, Nov 23, 2017.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

I need my fellow coin talk members opinion on collecting wheat cents.I know most of the time when you are collecting it’s mostly based on what someone likes or interest them.I am young farther wanting to pass down my collection to my son one day.Would a collection hold more value if I collected slabbed coins or coins that was unslabbed.I am needing help and opinions before I start this wonderful adventure of collecting and saving wheat cents.I know I need to learn a lot more but was wanting to make my first coin purchase over the next several months.Thanks again for all the generous tips and helpful responses I have gotten since being a member of coin talk.
    Thanks,
    icollectoldmoney

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

For now and until you learn what you are doing, don't buy high priced raw coins. Buy a few cheap coins in slabs and study them. Learn what you are doing first. If you don't care about the money, just buy anything without taking the time to learn.

Kasia likes this.
  4. icollectoldmoney

Well I want to learn just wanted to buy a couple coins over the next several months and was needing some guidance.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Welcome and buy what you like.
    Pennies are as good a place to start as any.
    Maybe ask what denomination your son likes?

7. icollectoldmoney

Well my son is only 5 months old but want to build a collection he will treasure and like!!!! And maybe he will be a young numistics like his dad.
    Thanks,
    icollectoldmoney

Kasia likes this.
  8. icollectoldmoney

I will probably buy from her through most of my purchases instead of using fee bay.
    Thanks,
    icollectoldmoney

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Slabbed should hold value better. Impossible to predict the market decades out since you mentioned passing it down to your son but grading is just getting larger every year especially with newer and younger collectors.

eBay is fine just stick to graded coins and avoid Asian sellers.

10. icollectoldmoney

Yeah I think I am going to with graded more then likely because they are more protected slabbed and usually care a preium if he wanted to sell them.
    Thanks,
    icollectoldmoney

Draft saved Draft deleted