Collecting versus Investing

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HawkeEye, Jul 17, 2017.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

HawkeEye it seems that you're trying to base your point of view on the difference between a collector and an investor, and that's fine I have no problem with that. In fact I readily agree that yes there is a difference between them.

But the point I am trying to get across is pretty simple and that it doesn't matter if one is a collector or an investor. And the reason it doesn't matter is because the market for Morgan dollars, the prices for Morgan dollars, is at the lowest point it has seen in almost 20 years. With the net result being that investors and collectors BOTH are losing money.

Now are there some exceptions, some individual coins, that have not dropped or dropped as much as others ? Yes. But taken as a whole, which is the only way you can look at the market, prices have dropped to where they were in 1998. That simply cannot be denied.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

No argument, we just see it differently. I see a lot of posts on this web site from what I consider pure collectors who focus on the coin and its characteristics and very rarely on money. From my perspective they have suffered very little and are pure hobbiest, which we need. Over on VAMworld there are many people who have invested heavily in the upper end and on rare varieties and they have suffered. But that is a different market and their motives are often very different. Have a good day and thanks for the good exchange of ideas.

Draft saved Draft deleted