collecting strategically - Question re: future "investment" value

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TylerH, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Start with a nice 1909 VDB-s. That will forever hold great interest and more then likely value. @TylerH

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Guess I’ll have to buy one of those one of these days.:cool:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

I like the way your thinking. What I'm thinking is try to buy a good quality coin that you won't have to see the same coin and think i should of bought that one. And if you do buy the next better one. Sell the first VDB's

5. Cheech9712

What do you think will happen to the canadian cent 20 years from now. Had to ask

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I doubt there are accurate numbers of the various age groups who collect coins today. But a while back there was a thread on this very subject, and I was surprised and heartened by the number of younger members.

7. Santinidollar

There are plenty of folks who collect coins despite what is written by people who couldn’t find a Lincoln cent with a flashlight and a first baseman’s mitt.

Cheech9712 and Gilbert like this.
  8. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask! Vintage Kenner Star Wars and 30s-50s toy ray guns!! Huge Star Wars fan. I even did some VFX work on Rogue One.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I think the Canadian cents will be a coin that will steadily increase in value . It is the same as any other . now that they do not make cents any longer there is that possibility that this will create more interest in these. we all know that Canadas last year for the cent was 2012, and I find that there seems to be more people looking for the good quality Canadian cents . When any coin is produced in several million will there ever be a big value attached to these ? Maybe some of the variety type sell for bigger dollars but the regular issue cents in 20 years from now will most likely be never hold a high monetary value in our life times that's for sure.

10. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

And I've wondered how many coin collections have been lost due to weather problems. Take the flooding in the east and fires in the west. Some coin shops might have been hit, along with individual collections. Would that affect coin prices? At least I'm hoping my son's Pokemon cards are now rarer than they were before!:cool:

11. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I would bet their value will increase. Scarcity has that effect on most things.

12. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

I believe coin collecting is still very popular...I mean look, there are 3 different forums (websites) on the internet for collectors that I know of and I'm sure many more that I don't know of not to mention the Facebook groups.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Assuming you're asking about in regards to value - probably not much. Like most modern coins there's just too many of them. But a 100 or 150 years from now - who knows.

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I collect toned coins too. I would not totally discourage collecting toned coins. If you get a lot of enjoyment from them now I see no harm in collecting them now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  15. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Well after reading a ton and being terrified of various condition scales, fakes, overdipping and alibaba I decided to start small and just grabbed my first coin as a collector. I love this design and it was 40$ which isn’t too risky :)

Attached Files:

John Johnson likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Congratulations.

I do believe a short set of Liberty Walking half dollars (1941-47) is popular with a lot of collectors. Thought of doing one myself.

17. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Nice choice.

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

And they are easy to find because they aren't rare.

19. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Thanks! It was a 2 fold purchase. One because I love that design, and 2 so I can start seeing the different grades in hand.

serafino likes this.
  20. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I also agree with Santinidollar. Think about completing the short set. Then find another set you like and work on that. By collecting that way, you don't end up with a bunch of random coins later. I think a lot of us who have collected for many years have a lot of coins with no sensible way to organize them.

21. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Well, part of what I love about coins is the various beauty of US and world coins! Im actually a "professional" sculptor for the toy industry sometimes, so the sculpture aspect is something I love too -

I think Im going to go for the 7070 album, with nicer examples seperate of my favorite designs, then just random world coins that I love (ie: I have a 1925 Italian 1 Lire coin that is not worth much at all, but beautiful seated design on the back!)

Draft saved Draft deleted