Collecting Full Step Jefferson Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, Jun 26, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

While roaming around EBAY, I could not help but notice the abuse of the claims for 5 and or 6 step nickels. Often ads touted "Full Steps" or "FS6" etc.. When in reality only a few or no steps were seen. Also many had gouges and "bridges" disqualifying such designations. I made a chart some time ago which is useful, especially to assist sellers as concerns what a full step designation should look like. It prints nicely on a regular 8 1/2 x 11 page, color is best. Use it anyway you like if you want or need to, post anywhere as well its free. I just hope it is useful. (I hope to be able to correctly attach the image/file here!!). It is titled: - the_steps3.jpg.
    As for myself, I collect full steppers, primarily 1962 - 2012, which covers 50 years. It is a challenge to find many, the 1969S (as mentioned in the file) and many of the 1970s are hard to find. Many of the 1940s-50s are available, these are typically all 5 steps, if full. Prices range from 3 or 4 dollars to several thousands!! Check out a NGC or PCGS slabbed 1968S or other, which are MS 69 and FS5!! Bidding for good and rare specimens can be vicious! Good luck. Oh, and post any good samples!! Show me.....got any '60s???
    the_steps3.jpg

TJ1952, gronnh20, Paul_62 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I've been trying to add some to my Jefferson set, and it is a challenge. I wonder if eventually those with 'mostly full' steps may start to see a premium as well, as they are tough for many years.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Your chart is helpful and informative. I have saved it and will check my nickels for the five or six steps. Wish me luck!

5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

This is just about to be sent to ANACS. 1943-D I've had it in my collection for a while now. It is supposed to be a DDR, and I'd love another opinion. I think I see it in the mint mark. I am more focused on peace dollars, this was a whim at an auction. The haze and scratches are a 2x2 flip, sorry but I'm not taking it out since I got it in without touching it. Mailing it off for the "2 free" deal. :)

Thoughts? Opinions?

20150626_185902_resized.jpg 20150626_190121_resized.jpg 20150626_190107_resized.jpg 20150626_185928_resized.jpg 20150626_190044_resized.jpg 20150626_185928_resized.jpg

TJ1952, gronnh20 and swamp yankee like this.
  6. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a winner to me,they'll tell you y/n...

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Definite FS, but no idea if it's a DDR from those pics.

8. GSDykes

In my eyes, it is not quite 5 full steps. When you count the columns from left to right (total of 4), stepaholics will see 4 quadrants, one quarter section below each pillar/column. They number these 1, 2, 3, 4. So you will have 5 or 6 steps divided into 4 sections. In your fantastic coin, I see a slight bridge between sections 2 and 3 at the lowest level, 5. TPG's may not give a FS with this small bridge. There is a website explaining the process visually better than I can here, I will add a link to it in a moment. Otherwise, it is a very nice nickel, but not a FS. It is well struck obverse and reverse, who knows, maybe a MS 66, for this year. Wish it was mine!! Here is the link:
    http://varietynickels.com/pages/jefferson-nickel/grading/understanding-full-steps.php

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Copper56 likes this.
  9. GSDykes

In the chart I began with, on the left side diagram, the green, I illustrate the upper step as the stylobate. In most constructions it is not actually a step. Which is illustrated on the right hand side, not a step!! This occurred because I "stretched" a 5 step nickel to demonstrate 6 steps. I suppose that there is some confusion. In reality many 6 step coins are truly 5 steps!, I am not sure how TPG's handle this situation at Monticello. At Monticello the stylobate is odd, note this diagram:

first_floor.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Lehigh96 likes this.
  10. GSDykes

In closing.... (there he goes again :) :wacky: I have heard of 1943 D nickels which are 6 step, but I have personally never seen one. I think PCGS has one somewhere on their site.

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Thanks for an informative thread. I did not realize that the view of Monticello on the nickel was of the rear of the building, rather than the front.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The 43-D was the best struck of the war nickels and their are thousands of 6 step examples. I don't have any graded examples in my collection, but I do have a raw one with unusual toning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personally, I don't think that 6 steps really matters. PCGS defined the market by allowing 5 full steps to qualify for their FS designation. And since you can't complete a collection with 6 full steps, nobody really cares about the 5th step. This is not a condemnation, just an observation. Really nice thread btw, I enjoyed it.

gronnh20, BadThad and GSDykes like this.
  13. Lehigh96

The 60's are tough, I only have one and it is questionable to say the least.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TJ1952, gronnh20 and MKent like this.
  14. GSDykes

I sincerely hope I have not got it backwards, but holding up the coin, you can see the sides of the rear columns, the second row. The northeast portico has only the front 4.

15. GSDykes

Here is the best image I found showing the steps on the south/west side of the building, which is the side shown on the nickel. Note the number of actual steps, and how the front columns are situated (image watermarked by GettyImages). The very top is typically NOT a step, but is the level of the column's stylobate! Below the level of the stylobate, you can easily count 6 steps. Monticello_front_odd.jpg

16. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

I have steps! How many? This is the best picture I have of it.
    1953 NGC PF68

I count 5!

1953 NGC PF68 Reverse Steps.jpg 1953 NGC PF68 Obverse Steps.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    gronnh20 likes this.
  17. Lehigh96

The full step designation does not apply to proof coins, just business strikes.

kSigSteve likes this.
  18. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

First great thread. I learn more each time I read one of these informative type threads.
    Second. Am I correct in saying that proof nickels are exempt from being attributed full step?

19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

You beat me to it. Dang.

20. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I still need to have it professionally photographed, but I have an old ANACS 1962-D MS64FS. It looks very nice and has a very clean cheek for the grade of MS64. I am hoping to submit to PCGS, but I have been procrastinating. Part of me wonders if the piece might upgrade, but I am not getting my hopes up. I think I also have the 1963 and 1963-D in NGC holders, and I think a 1968-S also in an old ANACS holder. I bought a hoard of old ANACS Jefferson Nickels a couple of years ago from eBay. One of the coins I sold to someone else upgraded (at NGC) to my surprise and it is less PQ than the others. I'll try to get these imaged or at least off to PCGS for TrueViews potentially in the near future and will try to remember to update this thread.

21. Lehigh96

The best years for the full step Jefferson Nickel are undoubtedly 1940 & 1941, especially the Denver minted coins. While my 41's are based mostly on eye appeal, all of my 1940 coins are full steppers. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 1942-D is pretty nice as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TJ1952, gronnh20, MKent and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted