Collecting early Walker halves

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I am starting to collect the early Walking Liberty halves, those that were minted from 1916 to 1920. These are challenging to collect and I am a little confused. From what I am reading and seeing, the grading standards for the early Walkers are a little more liberal than those minted after 1920. I was told once that the grading for the early walker is graded one half or greater than a Walker grading 1921 or later. I am looking at several examples of the early walkers and trying to understand what makes a VG, F and VF coin. Have any of you had any experiences on purchasing or grading these?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Good question , but most series are graded by date and MM anyways so there might be a slight difference . Can I ask if you have any specialty books on the series ?

4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

The official grading guide of US coins. At the end of the section, they mention special grading for the early dates.

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Miko W, imrich and rzage like this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

David Lawrence has a wealth of info on his sight for numerous types .

7. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Dimedude2,
    You can also search sites such as Heritage and Collectors corner for graded examples of early date Walkers. You should have luck finding many examples in those grades. Good luck with your quest. It is hard to find nice raw coins that have not been cleaned and expensive to find graded ones.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  8. legacya

legacya New Member

You are correct. The early Walker dates are graded a little more liberally. Strikes were weaker on these as well.

BigTee44 likes this.
  9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Good luck finding examples with great meat and original surfaces. I attempt to keep these in my inventory for my clients, but they tend to be more expensive than previously boinked coins and many folks will not support that price structure. It's a tough nut to crack.

10. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Tom B I will have to watch your site. I see a pretty nice 1919 right now. I used to try to get those early ones raw but too many times toning over a very old cleaning got me when I sent them in to be graded.

11. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

12. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I do not specifically collect Walking Liberty halves, but it is my favorite coin design. I have been an admirer of this coin for years and have many in my collection. Most walkers do tone in usual charcoal gray sheen. As seen below.

Attached Files:

13. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

How ever I feel that makes find a truly colorful toned walker even better

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted