Collecting coins by edge varieties?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sylvester, Aug 13, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Anyone every tried collecting coins by their edges? I see a whole variety of different types of edge lettering and a whole plethora of milling styles. Chevron, wide, narrow, diagonal, plain, alternate block of plained and milled, milled with superimposed incuse legends, incuse letter edges, relief letter edges, curved (wire) type edges, flat edges. The funny shaped edges of the euro coinage.

There must be literally dozens and dozens of variants, it'd be a new way of collecting!

Also related to this, are there any copper coins with milled edges? All i ever seem to see are plain ones. I have been looking though!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Somthing new every day

... I guess the answer is "No."

However, do not be surprised when some makes an ANA Exhibit on this theme. Then, there will come an article... then another... Then, some early adopters will collect ... and then the late bloomers will come to them and wonder why the prices are so high on some, when only five years ago...

Milled edges on copper, eh? I'll have to keep an eye out!

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Just remember you heard it here first! :D

gxseries over at Coinpeople made an interesting post about Russian coinage of the 18th century and provided a link to a wonderful page illustrating some of the milling varities used during that period. Net milling, "Dinosaur" footprint style milling, chevrons and a whole plethora of other styles. Very fascinating indeed. It was ceratainly something i was not aware of.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Michael I'm surprised at you. Of course there are copper coins with milled edges. All one has to do is take a quick look at the Red Book to find this out. Early US half cents and large cents both had milled edges, designs and letters.

I am fairly certain that there are examples of other nation's copper coinage with milled edges as well. But not being a collector of copper coinage as a general rule, I'd have to do a bit of research to confirm this.

6. sylvester

sylvester New Member

These being US cents from the 18th century? (I've been meaning to get some 18th century US coinage, but i've never come across any round these parts)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, they are from the 18th century - 1790's.

8. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Nice and expensive then! :D

Also explains why i wasn't aware of them, i've never met an 18th century US coin in the flesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted