Collecting Aims for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by frankjg, Dec 10, 2019.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

So with the new year rapidly approaching, anyone have any additions or second thoughts?

I have gained a little clarity since I posted and have settled on the following loose set of goals for the coming year:

1. Continue to expand my collection of coins issued under Antoninus Pius especially Faustina II with Pii Fil legends and Faustina I with Aeternitas reverses. I would like more Marcus as Caesar coins showing a progression in the aging of the portraits, and some early AP coins would also be welcome.

2. Now I have officially started my British coins collection with an irregular Clausius Minerva As, a Carausius radiate, and a Maximianus and Constantine folles from London, I have an initial goal of obtaining a coin for each Augustus and Caesar that was struck at London. I also want a selection of 'barbarous radiates' found in the UK from both the 3rd and 4th c.

3. Linked to the above, I would like to dip my feat into the coinage of the Celtic tribes in Britain, and some of the silver staters and sceattas look like they might just squeeze into my price range. Some Anglo Saxon pennies might also be attainable, but the prices are quite rough overall. Finally it might be nice to pick up a few hammered pennies from the Norman period onwards, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm a magpie collector within the imperial Roman sphere, so I buy a little of this and a little of that. I have several subcollections and interests. So, while I'm likely to make impulse purchases of coins that I find interesting, I'm specifically on the lookout for:

Issues of Faustina I, Faustina II, and Julia Mamaea that I don't already have. This is getting harder to do with each passing year. The middle bronzes of Julia Mamaea are particularly tough.

Issues of Trebonianus Gallus and Volusian I don't have.

Gallienus zoo coins I don't already have.

I'm still looking for a nice Pescennius Niger and Didius Julianus at a price I can afford. I'd like to upgrade my Augustus and Nero denarii -- they are just pricey.

thejewk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted