Cointalkers- are there any mistakes/regrets that you'd like to share?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JayAg47, Apr 9, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hey, look at the bright side. You realized those "mistakes" (but I think they're not money down the drain) before the age of 25. Many more miles ahead of you to steer the course the way you want it.

MIGuy, kountryken and JayAg47 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I sold a 1795 Lettered Edge cent about 10 years ago, it was in AU-55:

1795cent400.jpg

There were several other things I should have sold before selling this.

4. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to have a father in the army. We lived in many foreign countries and I started collecting coins when I was 7 and we lived in Germany. Both summers that we lived in Germany, we travelled all over Europe. The coins I collected probably weren't worth much then, but I liked them. I also did missionary service in South America. I had saved many coins that I got there as well as the currency. After 26 years of my marriage, my wife decided she wanted to be with her high school boyfriend and she kicked me out, so to speak. I got all that I could carry and moved into an apartment. When I took inventory of all of my "belongings," I realized I didn't have my coins and many other precious things. I went to "our home" and found she had changed the locks, so I waited until she got home and when I asked her if I could get some of the things I had to leave behind. She told me she threw all of my things away because she figured I wouldn't want anything left behind. I did have all the foreign currency in a journal that I kept while travelling. The divorce isn't the mistake. Trusting her, was the mistake.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Her leaving, or coming into your life?

kountryken, wxcoin and serafino like this.
  6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I was bidding on an 1880-O dollar in ICG MS65 holder and stopped bidding at $3,000. It went for $3,200. I was concerned about the ICG holder, but the coin appeared to be a nice well graded one. Sorry I didn't bid a few hundred more, as I'm sure the grade was accurate. They go for a lot more than that in NGC or PCGS.

longshot likes this.
  7. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Biggest regret; selling off 10 ounces of gold eagles around 2007 to cash in a 50 percent profit...

I broke the Golden rule: Hold Gold.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Biggest regret was doing a set, it was a type set but ended up with a bunch of coins from series I don’t really like because the set needed it. I sold all those off and just get what I want now and couldn’t care less about sets.

9. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately can relate. $700,000 later I'm free from my similar mistake...

MIGuy, kountryken and serafino like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This is exactly my regret..... Gotta have arrows and rays..... I bought every one I came across awaiting the right coin. I have four arrows and rays halves now.... Well, three. I just gave one to my grandson. But I have got to stop buying coins for the sake of buying them.

kountryken, Dynoking and wxcoin like this.
  11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of us lost many precious things when your marriage ended and how bad did it set you back?

12. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

You don't want to know, trust me!

13. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Did the same thing with "arrows and ray's" although I did put a stop to it fairly quickly when the novelty wore off!

kountryken and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Back in the early 80's one of my relatives had a liquor store and from time to time I would work the night shift for him as a clerk. One night this shady looking fellow came in and told me he needed money and showed me a handful of American gold coins, mostly $5 and $10's. Said he would let them go for a fraction of their value. I was tempted to buy them but was worried about the consequences if that guy got picked up by the cops. After all these years I can still remember his face. I sure wish I had those gold coins in my collection

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have never regretted buying a coin; I've only regretted not buying something when I had the chance -- more times than I can count.

kazuma78 likes this.
  16. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I slowly acquired a ton of silver proof sets a few years ago. At the time I didn’t realize how difficult these things are to sell despite that they are 90% silver. I learned to sell a few items before you stockpile a bunch so that I know the typical market demand better. I still have so many of these things...

MIGuy likes this.
  17. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I have parted with several coins I now regret selling. It did teach me though to never let go of one that's scarce.

kountryken and Cheech9712 like this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Sell them and get some coins you really like. Coins that are special to you

kountryken and JayAg47 like this.
  19. Cheech9712

Pictures or it didn’t happen. Lol. A lot of us members would of loved to have at least 1 of those to have gotten away. That must’ve been tough

20. Cheech9712

I miss placed a 1912s nickel like 40 years ago. Meant a lot to me.

kountryken and wxcoin like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Rodney ####. That’s not respect. It’s self respect. That don’t count

kountryken and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted