CoinStar find of Ebay banned country coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by willieboyd2, Jul 30, 2016.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I live in California and today I walked by the market CoinStar machine and saw a shiny coin.

[​IMG]
    Cuba 10 Centavos 2013

As we all know, Ebay will not allow anyone to sell coins from Cuba on their site.

The castle on the coin is Havana's Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Army).

:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    chrisild, NOS, sonlarson and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice design.........:)

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool, looks like someone went there recently. I had a friend bring me some coins and bills back from a visit. I don't believe I got a 10 centavo with that design. Nice pickup :)

5. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Since the trade embargo has been lifted wouldn't the sale and purchase of Cuban coins be allowed?

6. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

1) The embargo hasn't been lifted.
    2) eBay doesn't seem to fix policies when they become legal... only if they're illegal.

eric6794 likes this.
  7. eric6794

Oh, I thought they had lifted it but I just read where they were talking about it but it never went through.

8. green18

We more or less have a dialog with the Island Nation. EDITED

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
    eric6794 likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My best coinstar find was some kind of Cuban silver something or other. I'll have to see if I can dig it up someday.

10. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Edit: For the record, the bill kinda died in committee. It had bipartisan support, looking at who sponsored and cosponsored the bill, so I don't think it's fair to say the outcome would be impacted one way or the other on the expected success of the bill based upon this year's election results.

11. green18

I'm naughty......
    EDITED

Attached Files:

eric6794 likes this.
  12. eric6794

Bwahaha ha, funny. I did read a bit more into the article and some ways you may be right but thats another subject someday. I do like Cuba's coin designs though.

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hehe, here in Germany we do not have those Coinstar machines - then again, we can simply buy Cuban coins, here or even there. ;) Nice find! Note how they dropped the "royal" part - the coin just says "Castillo de la Fuerza". Does not seem to be a space issue ...

Christian

14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Thats cool. First Cuban coin I've seen. My best best coin star find was a half dime, and I don't mean nickel.

15. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Indeed, I didn't even know ebay wouldn't sell them. Something isn't working, I wanted to upload a picture of my 1915 peso (145KB) but was informed "The following error occurred. There was a problem uploading your file"

16. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

That is one of Cuba's Convertible Series 10 Centavos. Cuba stopped accepting the US Dollar for retail purchases around 2004. One had to exchange USD of the convertibles. At one time Cuba issued Visitor's coinage for tourist use.
    As for selling and buying coins from Cuba on eBay. I can assure you it happens every day. Just gotta know where to look.

NOS likes this.
  17. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

There are many Cuban coins sold on Ebay, the sellers just avoid using the word "Cuba". They will call the coins by various other names, "Caribbean Island" coins is common. I like the 100+ year old silver 20 centavos, 40 centavos and 1 peso coins.

18. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

IslaCuba is another name to search

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The closer we get to November, the more members we seem to be destined to lose,members do not get to decide what is political, religious, etc. Read the rules. try to stay around you all.

Draft saved Draft deleted