Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ragu, Nov 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I will keep lising and reading as you all can see things are forsure not jumping out at myself. I appreciate all of everyone's guidance and knowledge. Ragu

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

This 1990 to me looks great as in its clean , clear and the features are crisp. Ragu Screenshot_20211201-081406_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg Screenshot_20211201-081423_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Like this 2013 what would cause this to happen as I think it's an error. Help Please. Ragu Screenshot_20211201-082311_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg

Attached Files:

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  5. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Each year they put out different coin calibrations to make different finishes ? Screenshot_20211201-082805_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg Screenshot_20211201-082823_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  6. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

These are different and on the 1981 the 8 is different. Ragu Screenshot_20211201-084633_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg Screenshot_20211201-085052_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg Screenshot_20211201-085123_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg Screenshot_20211201-085150_Flashlight & Magnifying Glass.jpg

Attached Files:

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Couple things,

Copper is a reactive metal and can tone many different ways depending on the exposed environment. The color differences you see are due to toning, not mint finish. Once again books like the Redbook or sites like http://lincolncentresource.com/ can help tell if some specific coins have special features.

The better looking coins you're posting are nice, but far from valuable. They can be fun to find in circulation, and make great additions to a date set album collection, but generally are only worth face value. At many shows and coin shops you can buy mint sets that will have better uncirculated coins that are usually cheap.

Until you learn the characteristics of mint errors, most of what you find that looks different is most likely post mint damage (PMD). Its ok to post questions, just don't get discouraged or upset when you keep getting PMD as a reply.

The consensus response, is the correct answer 99.9% of the time. There are enough experienced collectors on here with decades of experience to make sure the responses to new collectors are correct. And if someone posts a wrong answer, it gets corrected pretty quickly, right @potty dollar 1878 (sorry to use you as an example, but it may actually be useful)

Keep threads to only 1 coin if possible. It can get too confusing giving answers when there are a dozen coins posted. You may want to limit new posts to only a couple a day so as not to overflow the board. Answering new collector questions can take time if you want to be detailed and A bunch of posts can get overwhelming.

Like anything new, it takes time to learn. Best of luck

Heavymetal and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just to add, the "ring" on your 2013 is damage from a coin rolling machine. The end coin often gets damaged when the roll is crimped.

9. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Thank You , I won't forget that information. Ragu

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  10. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I really appreciate all the lessons I am learning from the feed back yourself and the other knowledgeable collectors are sharing with me. Ragu

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  11. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

12. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

This coin is Zink 2.6 grams . I would like to find out why it has brush Mark's on it. I'm thinking it moved a little when being treated in one of the areas in the machine. Ragu

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  13. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

This dime is a tough one.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Well it has had a tough life! Very badly damaged!

15. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Can you explain how coin collectors can tell between a mint error and as you say a tough life.Lol. Ragu

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Fell into a garbage disposal.

eddiespin likes this.
  17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I found these in my desk drawer at work . . .

What do you think?

Z

IMG_2302.JPG IMG_3051.JPG

John Burgess and eddiespin like this.
  18. -jeffB

Wonder if he'll ever do a 1909-D VDB? Or did he already, and I missed it?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

There was a 1907 VDB, but the Denver Mint was producing coins in 1909, so I think he'll avoid that one.

Z

20. -jeffB

Really? I mean, the Denver Mint was producing coins in 1964, too, but that didn't stop him from producing 1964-D Peace and Morgan dollar overstrikes. Or, for that matter, his 1909-O Morgans.

21. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

The 1955 is I believe most extreme DD coin and no other like it. The 1908 to me is clear , clean and with the s mint Mark makes it a collectors dream one cent , as well as the 1955.Ragu

CoinJockey73 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted