Coins with Tyche or Cybelle

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I did not intend to begin a sub collection of Tyche coins, but recently I have obtained some beautiful examples. Here are four of the best.

1. Cilicia Korykos City Coinage AE19 SNG France 1075 struck at Cilicia, First Century BC

OBV: Turreted head of Tyche right; A behind. Circle of dots
    REV: ΚΩΡΥΚΙΩΤΩΝ, Hermes standing left, holding caduceus, ΕΥ/ΕΠΙ/ΕΡ in left field
    5.87g, 19.42 mm
    CILICIA, KORYKOS.jpg

2. ROMAN REPUBLIC P. FURIUS CRASSIPES AR Denarius Cr 356/1c struck at Rome, 84 BC

OBV: Turreted head of Cybele (Tyche) right, behind, foot pointing upwards, AED.CVR behind head
    REV: Curule chair inscribed P FOVRIVS; CRASSIPES in exergue
    3.88g. 19mm
    P. FURIUS CRASSIPES.jpg

3. Alexandria Troas Civic Issue AE19 SNG Cop 117, struck at Alexandria, Troas, 3rd Century AD

OBV: CO-L TRO, draped and turreted bust of Tyche right; vexillum behind
    REV: CO-L AVG, TRO in exergue, eagle standing right on the forepart of a bull
    5.06g, 19mm
    ALEXANDRIA TROAS_2.jpg

4. Alexandria Troas Civic Issue AE25 BMC 52, struck at Alexandria, Troas, 250-270 AD

OBV: COL ALEX TRO, Turreted & draped bust of city goddess or Tyche right; vexillum behind
    REV: COL AL [EX TRO], Horse feeding right, tree behind; beside the horse, a herdsman wearing chlamys, holding pedum in right hand, standing right
    5.6g, 24.9mm
    Alexander Troas_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

While their attributes are similar, Tyche and Cybele (Magna Mater) are VERY different deities. Anyone who's read Catullus' poem on her shepherd consort Attis would know. Worship of Cybele was quite gruesome.

Here is a more traditional depiction of the goddess:

[​IMG]
    ROME
    PB Tessera (18mm, 4.11 g, 12 h)
    Cybele riding right on lion, holding transverse scepter
    Attis standing right, wearing Phrygian cap, holding long scepter and ears of grain
    Rostowzew 3213, pl. X, 14 var. (no legend); München 631 var. (same)

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Here id s "Turret head" from Alexandria -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have none of either god but they are interesting none the less, especially Cybelle & her cult...

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

rs6270bb0524.jpg gi2030b01965alg.jpg gi2270bb0762.jpg rx3850b02202lg.JPG

Since you showed heads, I'll tack on four fuller length women. I'm not always comfortable with the titling of all otherwise unnamed women as Tyche. My Julia Domna (Rome) and Gordian and Serapis (Marcianopolis) above show what I'd say was Magna Mater enthroned. The Gordian and Tranquillina (Singara) might be a city goddess which we could call Tyche. The last from Antioch is labeled Genio Antiochini so could be expected to be the city goddess but is sometimes called Tyche. Tyche is equated with the Roman Fortuna which is more of a personification than a goddess. She is a personification or the city, any city, more like the USA Lady Liberty than a goddess of stature like Cybele or the Great Mother whose position is more universal than localized. Does Tyche mean more than 'woman'? Can anyone show a coin that has a legend using the word Tyche? There were magnificent temples to Tyche but I find it odd that she was not named on coins. Comments?

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One other thing: In general Greek/Roman gods who were really big were shown sitting/enthroned while lesser ones stood, walked or did something else. Certainly there are images both ways but these women being shown sitting must have been a sign of great respect.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Beautiful coins, gang ... sadly, I don't seem to have a Tyche or Cybelle coin to add to this thread (yet)

:so-sad:

Draft saved Draft deleted