Coins with Trains

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jason Lautzenheiser, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Brings back memories. Me and a buddy putting Lincolns on a track, waiting for the train to go by, collecting our smushed coins and then outrunning the Missouri Pacific detective who had all sorts of colorful names for us.

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gah! I was just looking through my stash for that coin!! Sharp cameo!!

sonlarson likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Interesting thing about this coins is that half of the original mintage of 200,000 was melted down to provide silver for the 1968 Olympic 25 Pesos. Even at that I see examples at almost every coin show I attend.

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Thanks, I managed to collect all of the Silver Proof Dollars from the 1980-1991 series. I think they were some of the best from Canada.

Nathan401 likes this.
  7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

They definitely sell at a premium. The cheapest they go is about $50.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The New Hope #40 smashed 40 lc.jpg these two cents in December 2017

sonlarson, Nathan401 and alurid like this.
  9. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

In 2015 and 2016, Japan released 9 coins of various Shinkansen at 'face value'. These coins are very popular and of course got hoarded. A commemorative silver proof featuring the original Shinkansen is also very popular. The last time I saw one for sale - asking price was over 300 dollars. Given there's a lot of train manias in Japan - I am not surprised...

Nickel copper
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/worl...releases-new-high-speed-train-coins0.all.html

Silver proof
    http://news.coinupdate.com/silver-coin-marks-anniversary-of-shinkansen-bullet-train-opening-3282/

On top of this, I believe there is an interesting issue to be released this year featuring the 150th anniversary of Meiji

https://www.mof.go.jp/english/currency/coin/commemorative_coins/20180525_reference.pdf

dwhiz likes this.
  11. dwhiz

12. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

13. Nathan401

I'm surprised no one posted this yet: IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not a "world" coin according to CT standards. :p But yes, a nice one - and a coin that can be had as a circulation piece too!

Christian

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

16. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is if you live anywhere outside of the U.S.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I do, but that is still not the way Coin Talk is set up. ;) Anyway, here is another old locomotive, the Saxonia from 1838, on a GDR 5M coin from 1988. While the Adler (used for the 1835 Nürnberg-Fürth connection) was from the UK, this one was built in Saxony.
    saxonia.jpg
    The "first German long distance railway" that the inscription mentions was actually opened one year later, in 1839. And while the Saxonia was one of the locomotives participating in the opening, the first ones were UK made. Maybe the investors trusted them a little more ... :)

Christian

18. Nathan401

Well I'll be darned. Didn't realize what forum this was.

19. dwhiz

Me too, I thought Utah was part of the world.

20. dwhiz

21. dwhiz

Draft saved Draft deleted