Coins with similar designs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Jan 3, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Have you ever looked at a coin and then got a deja-vu moment? Yes, there are numerous classic coins with similar designs (i.e. U.S. Seated Liberty & U.K. Seated Britannia). But aside from the famous ones, sometimes I come across one that's unexpected.

When I received this 2020 Vermont ATB quarter, I recalled that I've seen "a girl planting something" in another coin.

20201230_211036 copy.jpg

So I started to look for it among my hand-me-down collection. I found this one - 2009 Sacagawea Dollar ("Three Sisters"). But it wasn't the one I had in mind.

20201230_210649 copy.jpg

So I kept looking. And I finally found it - in the last page of one of the albums I had to look though. 1982 German 50 Pfennig.

20201230_213003 copy.jpg

I might even have a fourth one, but I stopped looking by then. LOL.

Happy New Year everyone and remember to plant some good stuff wherever you go.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice write-up ! Enjoyed it . What is she planting anyways . :smuggrin::smuggrin:

4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

The exact same coin 1,800 years apart! SBA dollar and Roman denarius

Screenshot_20200206-162216_Photos.jpg

jamor1960, Dima, Penny Luster and 8 others like this.
  5. JeffC

One of my favorite reasons for coin collecting is reading the stories behind the designs. Maybe you already know about the "three sisters" but if not, google it and I think you'll find it interesting.

Penny Luster and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. JeffC

WOWWW!!! The similarity is uncanny!!! Hahahaha. I know nothing about ancient coins but your post reminds me of something. I have a Greek coin with an owl on it (but it's a modern one from the '80's) and I noticed that a lot of the ancient Greek coins feature the same owl.

7. YoloBagels

Many modern coin designs are based on ancient coins, I think the SBA was just a coincidence though. It's pretty cool! ddsgfdjhjgkhkyu.png

8. JeffC

Thanks for posting these pairs. I've got the one on the bottom right! Somewhere in one of the albums - I have to search again). But I seem to remember mine is 2-Lire, not 5. Maybe I'm wrong.

9. YoloBagels

I actually don't have one unfortunately. The older Italian coins are beautiful though.

BTW I know this is off topic, but your pfp cracks me up every time I see it.

10. JeffC

To avoid confusion, I'm the one on the right.

Penny Luster and YoloBagels like this.
  11. JeffC

I totally agree about Italian coins. Here's a quick sloppy shot of my 2-Lire piece with the same design as your L-5. Below it is another favorite of mine: 50-centesimi featuring Archangel Michael sheathing his sword. Vatican City.
    20210103_225836.jpg

Penny Luster and YoloBagels like this.
  12. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Italian coins of the early 20th Century are quite underrated, especially when it comes to aesthetics.

JeffC and YoloBagels like this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It has always been quite common for countries to copy the designs of coins from other countries. And they'd copy more than just designs, they copy composition, weight, and fineness. In more than a few cases they would copy everything exactly, minting out and out counterfeits. For over 150 years the Russian govt. minted counterfeit Netherlands gold ducats. And they were so good that even the TPGs of today can't tell the real ones from the counterfeits most of the time. In fact the TPGs, and yes that includes NGC and PCGS, have slabbed thousands of Netherlands gold ducats as being genuine when they are actually Russian counterfeits.

But most of the time countries were happy with copying the designs of the coins from other countries.

JeffC and jamor1960 like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice write up and great photos.

JeffC likes this.
  15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The most copied one I have seen is St George and the dragon. So many countries have had it at one time or another. First image is my Sovereign the others are from the web
    DSC00838.jpg DSC00839.jpg
    upload_2021-1-4_18-42-33.jpeg upload_2021-1-4_18-42-33.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JeffC

Draft saved Draft deleted