Coins with scratches on an NGC coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Last year I got a 1921 standing liberty quarter, graded VF20 in an NGC holder. A nice coin, a key date, but... after I bought it I noticed a scratch at the middle of the obverse going through the drapery from 11 o’clock to 5 o’clock. Perhaps I got excited about finding this tough date. The scratch goes between 5 to 10 percent of the diameter. Without a 7x loupe you can see it but it’s not too bad, but with the loupe it’s there. The scratch looks pretty old and blends in with the coin.

Generally speaking, For a certified VF20 coin, how often would you see a scratch of that magnitude?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You have been here long enough to know that we can't tell you any real information without pictures. Even if they aren't great, give us something.

Beefer518 likes this.
  4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Will do, My question however was general. I will have it tomorrow

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Generally, scratches are bad!

But we both know that there is a lot of variation and subtlety in that.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It really depends upon how obvious the scratch might be.
    I had an IKE Dollar that I purchased off of Teletrade that, upon closer examination, had an "X" scratched into the reverse. It was a 1971 that was graded at MS65 which, at the time, was a several hundred dollar coin. $240 specifically. The coin is pictured in all its glory on the PCGS CoinFacts site under cert number 12493268.

IKE 1971 12493268 PCGS MS65 Damage.jpg

I sent it back to PCGS and they simply downgraded the coin and mailed me the difference in price from a 65 to a 64. Technically it was still scratched but it was not 'obvious' and as such, still marketable which is what professional coin grading is all about. Marketability.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

F5012D9E-C7C4-4C81-B21B-167D85D644C9.jpeg A6A488D4-7A65-4353-B535-5AA747699C86.jpeg Ok here is a pic I took from my iPad...

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I can’t see it in those pics. I just see a nice original slq ngc is usually super tough on scratches while pcgs will often straight grade a old toned over scratch if not too serious especially on early stuff

9. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I think the TGP's use a 5x loupe, and if it's not noticeable without the loupe, and looks to be 'old enough' they'll let it slide. Or, the grader missed it.

EDIT: I reread the OP's post, and then looked again at the coin. it is a noticeable scratch if you're looking for it, but it sort of blends in with the drapery, so they may have not hit it as hard as they would say a scratch across the cheeks on a Morgan. I dunno.

10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Here is the scratch. Fyi 348848B4-7C17-4052-87E2-925C11408CA9.jpeg

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ah ok. It does blend with the drapery. I can see why it straight graded now

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Overgraded at VF-20.
    The reverse is about F-12 IMO and even if the obverse is a little better (F-15)
    it can't net grade at 20.
    I can't see the scratch very well. But if it is a bad scratch through a loupe I would grade it F- details.
    I like the series and I realize it might grade better because they wear easily.

carpman98 likes this.
  13. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Well NGC graded it at vf20. These have also always been difficult to grade. But it is a low end vf20 imo.

Michael K likes this.
  14. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Well NGC graded it at vf20.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That scratch is fine for a coin that circulated that much, if it was AU or better that’d be a different story

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

That scratch is acceptable at a VF grade.

When I bought my first 1914-D Lincoln Cent I noticed a scratch on the reverse. I told the seller that i would have the coin graded and that if it straight graded, I'd keep it, otherwise I would return it and he would pay the fees.

It straight graded F-15.

17. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Thanks very much for your feedback on this. It was not a total mistake but should have looked a little closer.

18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

If you wouldnt mind sharing with the rest of the class @Dimedude2 .....
    How much dough, did you throw down for that example???

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The fact that the coin is a 1921 and therefore a key date is also a reason for the TPG to be less strict.

Dimedude2 likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Did not realize that and I agree with what you said.
    What I don't agree with are the graders bias in that area.

Dimedude2 and mikenoodle like this.
  21. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Michael K - I saw similar appearances in PCGS and NGC 1921 SLQs.
    Then again, maybe I should give up and get on Nutrisystem.

Michael K likes this.
  22. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Early SLQs are graded differently in terms of wear. As far as scratches they did happen in circulation especially these smaller ones in the lower grades.

Draft saved Draft deleted