Coins with fractional and mixed number denominations

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Jul 23, 2019.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1909 Netherlands 1/2 cent 1909 NL 1-2 c obv.JPG 1909 NL 1-2 c rev.JPG

talerman, PaddyB, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Mysia/ Kyzikos
    EL Myshemihekte (1/24 Stater) struck 625-600BC (3 known)
    Head of Tuna left
    Rough incuse Punch
    The Tunny Fish (Tuna) was symbol for Kyzikos coinage 00102q00.jpg

talerman, chrisild, coin_nut and 4 others like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

3 known!?! :jawdrop::wideyed: they did well with the design; it looks like tuna :)

panzerman likes this.
  5. coin_nut

1458-1511 Gujarat Sultanate AE 1 1/2 falus 1458-1511 Gujarat S. 1 1-2 f obv.JPG 1458-1511 Gujarat S. 1 1-2 f rev.JPG

6. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

7. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

1897 Russia 7-1/2 Rouble

rus1897b (2).jpg rus1897a (2).jpg

8. coin_nut

1837 Canada 1/2 penny token 1837 Canada 1-2 p token obv.JPG 1837 Canada 1-2 p token rev.JPG

9. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

This one's a bit of a cheat as it's a bill, not a coin. 1/3 of a dollar, Colony of Maryland, 1775.

As Spanish colonial dollars would have normally been divided into eighths, it seems a strange fraction to choose. I believe they also issued 1/9, 1/6 and 2/9 dollar bills. These odd fractions served as a bridge between what kind of money was mostly available (Spanish silver) and the common unit of account (pounds sterling). At the time, a Spanish dollar was worth about 4 shillings, 6 pence = 54 pence. So 1/9 of a dollar would have been a convenient six pence, and 1/3 of a dollar would have been 1 shilling 6 pence. I've transcribed the faded text below the image. There was a lot of inflation in these Revolutionary War era issues, and they traded at well below par shortly after issue. 1:3 dollar all.jpeg

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Time to dust off this thread... Here's a new type (to me): Spain, 2 1/2 centimos, 1868. I believe this was only a three year type: 1866-1868 Spain 1868 2.5 centimos ob.jpg Spain 1868 2.5 centimos rev.jpg

panzerman, talerman, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  11. princeofwaldo

I'm surprised no one has posted anything from Cyprus.

Meanwhile, here's an 80 Fiorini from Tuscany (Florence).

tus1828a.JPG tus1828b.JPG

12. coin_nut

1916 Panama 2 1/2 centesimos 1916 PA 2 1-2 c obv.JPG 1916 PA 2 1-2 c rev.JPG

panzerman, talerman, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  13. princeofwaldo

14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Cyprus, 4 1/2 Piastre 1901:

Cyprus 4&HP 1901 1-horz.jpg

15. panzerman

That is a mighty fine coin/ 5 Stars!
    John

princeofwaldo likes this.
  16. panzerman

AV 1/12 Dukat 1711 Breslau Mint
    HRE Josef I 01181q00.jpg

17. princeofwaldo

Struck the year he croaked from small pox, which was on April 17 of 1711. Karma for the slaughter of all those gypsies the year prior.

Extermination of Romani[edit]
    In 1710, Joseph I, issued an edict against the Romani (Gypsies), ordering "that all adult males were to be hanged without trial, whereas women and young males were to be flogged and banished forever."[3] In addition, in the kingdom of Bohemia, Romani men were to have their right ears cut off; in the March of Moravia, the left ear was to be cut off. In other parts of Austria, they would be branded on the back with a branding iron, representing the gallows. These mutilations enabled authorities to identify the individuals as Romani on their second arrest.[3] The edict encouraged local officials to hunt down Romani in their areas by levying a fine of 100 Reichsthaler for those failing to do so.[3] Anyone who helped Romani was to be punished by doing a half-year's forced labor.[3] The result was mass killings of Romani across the Holy Roman empire.[3]

18. princeofwaldo

Hey! Hey! There we go! That's more like it!!

The Eidolon and panzerman like this.
  19. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

SCOTLAND Charles II 1/8 Dollar (1/2 Merk or 6 Shillings 8 Pence) 1676 - although no value shown on coin

Scotland Ch II Half Merk or Eighth Dollar 1676 obv 342.jpg Scotland Ch II Half Merk or Eighth Dollar 1676 rev 344.jpg

20. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Well, I had not heard this terrible story before. I clicked on LIKE but I then realized that might be misunderstood. To be clear, I like an interesting bit of history but I have nothing against Romani (Gypsies)

panzerman likes this.
  21. princeofwaldo

Kind of cool there is a pretty good story about him on Wiki in any case. I collect Venetian zecchini gold coins, and you would think there would be a lot out there about the various doges who issued coinage for Venice, but unfortunately most them have very little background out there on the web. Most of them have some reference to the crusades and to fighting the Ottomans and not much else.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted