Coins with bears

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've seen the Bay Bridge coin and I'd love one but it will cost more than I want to spend right now. Someday maybe.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Here is another "Berlin Bear" coin. In 1981 the GDR (East G.) issued a 10 M piece commemorating 700 years of minting in Berlin. It features an Eternal or Perpetual Penny with the bear; not the first piece minted in Berlin AFAIK but a characteristic early one. The term "Ewiger Pfennig" (denarius perpetuus) means that, unlike most bracteates, it did not have to be exchanged every year or so. Oh well, at some point even such eternal coins were revoked ... ;)

[​IMG]

This is the coin, I think, that can be seen on the GDR coin:
    http://ww2.smb.museum/ikmk/object.php?id=18206687

Christian

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

2010 Greenland 20 Kroner (2).jpg

Greenland. Pattern coin. mintage 10,000

5. sonlarson

The rest of the Greenland patterns.

JAY GREENLAND FRAME.jpg

6. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Is that a tri-metallic? Pretty slick!

7. sonlarson

Yes, the 50 Kroner has a Copper outer ring, Brass in the middle, and Copper-Nickel in the center.

jester3681 likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

This one arrived today. 2008 Kazakhstan 50 tenge. 2008 kazakhstan 50 tenge.jpg

ddddd, sonlarson, jj00 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. But, calling them bears is like calling a fox a dog. They're both in the family Canidae, but nobody would say a fox is a dog.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

11. Hiddendragon

I also bought that one recently. I'm patiently awaiting its arrival from Poland.

12. Hiddendragon

First of three 2015 grizzly bear Canadian 1 oz. silver coins. I have the other two coming in the mail. Hard to get a good picture. 2015 canada 20 dollars catch.jpg

ddddd likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Also the San Diego Commemorative features a bear:

IMG_5569.JPG

Hiddendragon likes this.
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Oh, and the 1925 California commem!

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes the California is another of my favorites. Sold this one, but will at one point try to pick up another.

276021-2.jpg

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The city of Bern(e) in Switzerland was already mentioned; in mid-December a Swiss newspaper had this article about the bear on the city's coins. The story comes with a few images too; click on the blue "(8 Bilder)" link. The pieces are part of an exhibition at a bank in Berne, until the end of February.

Another "CoA bear" can be found on the coinage from Anhalt-Bernburg. The bear walking on a castle wall is a nice example of armes parlantes or canting arms: Bear = Bern, castle = Burg. Image link:

[​IMG]

The origin of city names such as Bern, Berlin or Bernburg is not exactly known. In popular etymology, however, they must have something to do with bears. :)

Christian

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Hiddendragon

Interesting information. A few months ago someone on here posted an Anhalt coin and I thought it was very nice and made a note to look for one. I recently purchased a pfenning from there but I'd like the bigger silver coin someday.

18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

When my cousin's daughter graduated and went to Baylor, I sent her two bear coins. One was a Canadian Polar Bear and the other was from Anhalt-Bernburg similar to this one - http://www.ma-shops.com/internumi/item.php5?id=33&lang=en

I also picked up a Celtic cast bear coin, see pics. The cast coin was months late due to shipping from Europe to Texas, so I still have the coin.
    Celtic Bear coin 002.JPG Celtic Bear coin 001.JPG

Hiddendragon likes this.
  19. Hiddendragon

I got the other two coins in the Canadian 1 oz. silver $20 grizzly series today. DSCN0692.JPG DSCN0699.JPG

sonlarson likes this.
  20. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Do teddy bears count?? ;) 623932244566-3.jpg

Paul M., chrisild and Hiddendragon like this.
  21. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted