Coins Toned

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kovu, Jan 17, 2011.

1. kovu

kovu New Member

Why are some coins appear to be toned in with a rainbow like color, what causes this to happen, is it natural or artificial effect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Both, the trick is being to tell the difference. Google books: Coin Chemistry

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Don't take this the wrong way but that response deserves a COME ON MAN. Coin Chemistry is an advanced text on the subject written by a guy whose opinion of toning is tantamount to the lunatic fringe of the numismatic community. I really feel as if a much simpler response is appropriate to the OP's question.

In a nutshell, rainbow toning is the result of oxidation and a phenomenon called the thin film interface. One of the very best explanations of toning can be found on this very forum written by Jason (physicsfan314). Here is the link:

What You Need to Know About: The Science of Toning

BTW, rainbow toning can be both natural or artificial.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Oxidation causes toning read the link Lehigh gave . It's a touchy subject . W.W. White who wrote Coin Chemistry believes all toning is damage and should be erradicated , guess he just can't appreciate a well toned coin and how rare a rainbow toned coin really is . He'd dip this coin , one of my favorites .
    [​IMG]
    rzage

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If I ever get the opportunity to meet Weimar White, there is only one question I would like to ask him.

"Excuse Mr. White, I purchased your book Coin Chemistry, CAN I GET A REFUND?"

7. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Anyone get the since the Lehigh96 doesn't like coin/tone doctors? I feel you! In the wrong hands like in the other thread it is used to capitalize on the vanity of toned coins to turn a huge profit. In the right hands it can help detect the work of those (what I call armatures!) destroying coins in the name of profit!

BTW: The book is nothing more than a collection of articles! So it's not really a book in the sense of having to work at writing it!

Toning is certainly a subjective topic, and for me it depends on the coin. To answer the original question; Sulfur AND Both.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm with you on that one , plus I don't have a degree in chemistry to understand half of it . LOL

9. ronterry

ronterry New Member

REAL OR FAKE??? We know what does it, now it's all about how?
    Anyone trained can point it out from a mile away, but did you notice how I used a Dansco to add a little legitimacy to the coin? You just have to be careful with tone coins that demand a premium!

[​IMG]

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sometimes, but not always.

11. ronterry

ronterry New Member

True that Kennedy wasn't to obvious - but thats the point :)
    I should start a Real or Fake poll similar to the Grading polls LOL...

12. kovu

kovu New Member

Wow, thanks for all of the replies that you made, thanks for the info, I dont think I will buy any anytime soon. Too expensive and the risk is higher than I want.

Draft saved Draft deleted