Coins to be sent in for grading. Care to predict a grade?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, May 19, 2020.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Hey all! I plan to send the following three coins in to PCGS to be graded in the coming weeks. I thought I’d post them up here for a long-term predict the grade thread. We all have lots of time on our hands, right...

The three coins are all quite different and I have varied expectations for each.

#1:
    1909 G 1/2 Mark - this is a lower mintage year/mark (607,000) and has a high book value though book values on German coins like this one mean next to nothing. I have seen many very highly graded (MS 66-68) examples of other 1/2 marks and am really just curious how this one will compare. It is a lovely coin in hand, with nice blue and rainbow toning.

1893 South Africa Penny - this coin has an extremely low mintage (11,000) and is quite valuable in AU and MS grades. My only concern are the two spots on the reverse preventing a straight grade.

#3:
    1682 Hungary 15 Kreuzer- boy Leopold the Hogmouth sure was ugly. I love the coin and think it compares favorably with several MS examples I’ve found online.

Feel free to weigh in on any or all of these coins. I’ll update the thread when they return from the slab-factory.
    I photographed on two different backgrounds to show different characteristics.

ED44896B-B3EF-4509-A846-ABA91B76BA18.jpeg 1A7B863F-30C9-41FB-8575-EB8A3CB71AEC.jpeg 9483EDF9-15E5-4C2B-B637-EE9DA54BCE39.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I do like the 1/2 mark and Krueger #2 corrosion cleaned?

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Half Mark MS65
    Penny AU55
    15 Kreuzer MS details?

5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

1. MS64
    2. XF45
    3. AU Details - Cleaned (or) env damage (or) tooling

Hopefully I'm not too harsh.

6. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

If give a
    MS66 (unless the lines that look like a 1 and an A to the left and right of the one of the 1/2 are graffiti, then UNC details)
    AU55
    AU Details

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

1. AU-58. I'm concerned about the attached material on the reverse wreath.

2. AU-50, if it isn't details corrosion.

3. AU-58, if it isn't details cleaned. Not familiar with these, but it is just too bright white and shiny.

8. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

For world coins, do PCGS and NGC actually use a set of accepted standards, or do they just make up whatever they feel like?

9. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Well, it’s been a long time since I started this thread but the coin(s) are finally back from grading. I decided not to send the German 1/2 mark because it didn’t seem worth it and I also held back the 15 Kreuzer because based on a consult from a trusted dealer it appeared there was a mount removed. So, it was just the South Africa penny that went out. Thankfully it was worth my while as it straight graded. There were only 12,000 minted and in this grade it is a $4-500 coin. Not many go up for sale given the low mintage.
    F5852CB0-5EAE-4115-95E2-81A9FC1313AD.jpeg A24CAFC8-856F-465B-8A2E-FE2F6400BCA7.jpeg F817B2AA-2249-4D6C-A13E-9DA9C0BDF1ED.jpeg

Seattlite86, David Betts and longshot like this.
  10. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I was going to go for MS-65 on the 1/2 mark, AU-grades on the South Africa bronze (which I saw by accident be4 writing). On the 15 Kreuser I'm going to go full ms. Maybe a 63. I can't see the details from the photos that clearly but I recall these coins being available and not super expensive in ms grades. Also I remember bright and shiny uncleaned specimens existing.

11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Well I was off quite a bit. I didn't pick up the rin damage on the 15 kreuzer. I guess you're a professional dealer?

12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

How does PCGS slab that coin as problem free when it’s green!?!?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This too, surprised me.

Draft saved Draft deleted