Coins that you are questioning? Or, ones you havn't slabbed yet.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

86' ds obv.jpg 86' ds close up.jpg 86' ds rev.jpg This is an 86' that seems to be also punched with an S..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I have a couple. Curiously, I bought them at the same show.

One is a 1960 proof, that I think would go at least 67 DCAM. Problem is, if I send it in and it comes back less than 68 DCAM, I'm buried in the coin + fees. So, raw it stays, for now.

The other is a nice 1951-S dime. Both the dealer who sold it to me and I agree that it's a minimum MS66, and I'd say FT on top of that. But, at 66 FT, I'm probably about break even including fees, and the win isn't that big at 67 FT.

I might send one or both of them in as an educational experience, but it'd be silly to do so for any other reason.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

The eighty six is one of my favorite years. It is a pocket change coin. If I try to attribute it? do I win or lose? That is the question?

5. Paul M.

Well, I couldn't find a listing for any D/S at Variety Vista. So, what I'd do is try to get it under a stereo microscope and examine it further before sending it in anywhere.

They do list some quite rare D/D RPMs, so, who knows?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

I have been there. Dose the pic provede enough evidence? I am minutes from ANACS

7. Paul M.

I can't tell. There's clearly something going on with that mint mark. It could be plating bubbles, a couple of die chips that coincidentally happened there, or it could be an RPM. Without getting it under a loupe or scope, I can't say for sure.

8. Pickin and Grinin

It dose seem from the pics that on the west of the D the S makes an emulated plus sign? As if punched?

9. Pickin and Grinin

AGreed

10. Pickin and Grinin

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Even though the provided photos are far from ideal, it looks like a simple plating issue.

jallengomez likes this.
  12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

This is a plating issue. It was very common during the 80s.

13. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

yea, and its catching the light funny. The mint mark located at the 4 o'clock position is not on the 2nd pic, only the 5 o'clock.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Paul M. - Wouldn't it have been better to start your own thread?

Chris

15. Pickin and Grinin

Thanks for the answers. In hand it looks different from the pics. It is just tempting to think it isnt Gassy for once.

16. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Plating issues which are common for modern coins starting in 1982. It's impossible for a D/S in later years.

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I think it's a FS5c-018 any thoughts 1935 DDo 1.jpg 1935 DDO 2.jpg 1935 DDO 3.jpg

18. Pickin and Grinin

They, say grading pics is a fools game. Took me a while but, Larry is pretty good at it? I found a die marker that said it was there.

19. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Well, since 1935 FS5c-018 is a doubled die reverse, you should probably show us pics of the reverse. There's definitely no doubling going on with the obverse.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  20. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Always look for the variety or error first, then the markers.

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thanks good catch fs5018.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted