Featured Coins that go bump in the night

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG

My answer to Severus Alexander's awesome Zombie Jesus :)

Cilicia stater with some wear takes on a totally different vibe..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Ryro likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Yeah! That 1st (Byz) coin is Awesome Creepy!! Is that Jesus or my ol friend...
    MV5BM2M3YWRkN2MtZDg5OC00NmRmLTliNzctMTBkZjQzZTlkYmQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_.jpg

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That Crypt Keeper Byzantine is way cool!

Ryro likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

"Spooky Moon Face"

Unusual pictorial love token engraving on 1862 USA Seated Liberty half dime

[​IMG]

Obverse: Seated Liberty design, unaltered.

Reverse: strange, round face with "F G D" initials and ornamental garland above, decorative carving to left and right.

One thing that intrigued me here is that the engraver obviously had some skill, as demonstrated in the initials and the garland, but what's the weird, seemingly crude face all about? And those ornamental bits on the side? We'll probably never know. Your interpretation is as a good as any I could come up with.

[​IMG]

7. lordmarcovan

"Weird Wellington & The Penguin Lady"

Bizarre folk art carving on 1811-13 Canadian "Wellington" halfpenny

[​IMG]

Host coin: Undated (ca. 1811-1813) pre-confederation Canadian "Marshal Wellington" halfpenny token (Breton-971?), large leaves variety.

Obverse: bust of Field Marshal Wellington with front outline of profile recarved.

Reverse: seated Britannia altered into bizarre bird-headed woman with small animal inverted on her lap.

This was an impulse buy I just couldn't pass up, for the princely sum of six dollars.

Boy, "Penguin Lady" is sure spooky, isn't she? How'd you like to run up on her in a dark alley? Brrr... there's some nightmare fuel. Look at that sharp beak... those muscular arms.

And that poor creature in her lap, which she appears to be... spanking? Petting? Eviscerating? And what the heck is that critter, anyway? I think I'll call it "The ArmadilloFox".

[​IMG]

What in the world was going on here? Again, we'll probably never know.

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Jeez @lordmarcovan that Lovecraftian nightmare gives me the heebie jeebies! LOVE IT!
    Since Halloween I've gotten a couple more creepy coins myself.
    Here's my soul swallowing crystallized scorpion (now there's a rockin band name for you!
    1547226006469_Untitled.png
    CARIA, Mylasa(?). Circa 450-400 BC. AR Obol (7mm, 0.63 g, 6h). Facing forepart of lion / Scorpion, tail to right. SNG Kayhan 934-8; SNG Copenhagen (Cyprus, etc.) 379very fine

Where have I seen this guy before??
    CollageMaker Plus_20181118115811692.png Green-Goblin-Marvel-Comics-Hamilton-Spider-Man.jpg

spirityoda, lordmarcovan and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted