Coins stuck in capsule holder

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stoster38, Apr 23, 2012.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has ever received a 1 oz silver coin, in my case it was a 2012 Panda, and the coin was stuck in the capsule. The capsule is similar to an air-tite capsule. The capsule had a hole in it but that's how the capsule is constructed so I wanted to transfer the coin into my air-tite holder.

If you had this happen to you how did you get the coin out of the capsule. In the end I had to put the coin reverse side down onto a clean soft surface and used a the handle side of a screwdriver to crack the capsule into several pieces. I didn't see any scratches or other damage on the coin even with a 5x loupe.

Just curious what others have done.

Thanks!!

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Next time try using a hair dryer on it, and it should pop right out. ;) TC

JeffC likes this.
  4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Well if your not wanting to re-use the holder you could try this:

Take the holder, and grip it with your fingers on the edges.

Take a large plastic item, like the handle on a screw driver, and tap on the plastic side of the holder.

That's all I can think of .

If you have any acetone handy, try soaking the coin+ holder in the acetone. The acetone will eat the plastic off the coin.

Make sure ALL PLASTIC IS REMOVED before taking the coin out of the acetone. Otherwise the plastic will dry on the coin, and you will have a mess.

I'm trying the acetone trick on a $1 coin right now...I will let you know how it goes.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Just my suspicious mind at work.

Once you extracted the coin did you weigh it?
    Maybe someone didn't want you to remove the coin from the holder.

Just a thought.

6. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Kanga,

No I didn't weigh it. I got the coin from Provident Metals. I've bought from them before and never had issues so I don't think they were trying to cheat me.

7. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

Do not use Acetone to melt the plastic, it's a completely bad idea.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Lotsa luck.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. alldrr5

alldrr5 Member

Are you for real? Just when I thought your stupidity had reached it's peak, you come out with this. WOW

:(

Kentucky likes this.
  10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

LOL. I have to believe Detecto is just having fun, as most of his posts border on insanity. I'm thinking he's really a smart guy, and enjoys pulling our leg now and then.

11. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I'm not being stupid. I have done this before. Acetone won't harm a coin. I've soaked coins in acetone for days with no effects. Several people on here recommend it.

Acetone eats most plastics. It may take several days of soaking, but it will remove the plastic from around the coin.

This is the best way, because trying to beat it out of the holder may make it roll out on the floor.

12. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm trying to get two MoD silver dollars that came with the MoD sets out of the capsules. THEY ARE BOTH STUCK! Anyone have success with this?

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Heat it with a hair dryer.

14. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

WOW, THANKS! Worked great! 30 seconds, 2 inches from the coin/capsule and it dropped right out.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, Tim, but even if the acetone doesn't damage the coin, if the plastic is dissolved it will coat the coin and make a mess. Additionally if there are any additives in the plastic, you have now liberally coated the coin with them. Let us know how yours turned out.

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You're welcome! It works well on really old, tight coin tubes too.

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've yet to meet a holder of any composition which would win an argument with my Dremel. And even if it did, I have a Roto-Zip.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Slamming it against the wall would probably also work. : - )

Draft saved Draft deleted