Coins stolen/missing from the post office back vault

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CommemHalfScrub, Dec 3, 2020.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Gee, you buy insurance. But you're not insured!

Wow, I wish I could run a business where you don't have to come through for the customer in any which way; just take their money!

Insurance = SCAM.

CommemHalfScrub likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I beg to differ. I've seen multiple safes in more than one post office, one of which was marked "Registered Only".

I don't dispute that many post offices may not have a safe at all, as many are too small for that, or serve communities where such services are unlikely to be used, but I do know that safes exist in at least 3 post offices I've been to.

gmarguli likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But once the value of what you are shipping goes over $1000, Registered is actually CHEAPER than priority insured. And the higher the value goes the faster it gets cheaper.

As mentioned while you can't see all the tracking for Registered , internally they can and they can track it through each person that handled it. And if it goes missing the last person that signed for it is held responsible. It can mean the loss of their job, their pension, fines, and even jail time. This makes everyone who handles Registered mail to be very diligent at making sure the next person signs when they hand it off. No one wants to be the last guy in the chain for a missing registered mail package.

5. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

I hear the Post Office isn't requiring signatures now because of the pandemic. Thus are Registered packages still requiring a signature for delivery to the actual recipient?

6. ToughCOINS

When you purchase a signature service, the post office asks you to decide whether you will allow the delivery person to require the signature, or allow them to deliver without requiring it. If you want a signature, be very careful about how you answer this question, as how it is asked is somewhat confusing.

7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I shudder to think of all the low grade Morgans and other raw coins that I've sent and received in just an envelope between cardboard from a cereal box or whatever was handy with "Do Not Machine" noted on the front.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My current mail carrier said that due to covid all carriers have been instructed to sign for the parcel when at the address. It's also scanned so it's considered that you signed for it. Her office, a large one, the management doesn't want everyone touching the scanner to sign. She has signed for a number of parcels for me.

MIGuy likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'll accept your word but I know of nothing in any manuals that covers this. I've been in a number of offices and no one has a dedicated safe for this purpose.

10. ToughCOINS

Glad to know you accept the possibility. Next time you talk to a fellow postal worker, or retiree, you might ask if they have seen them. Doubtless they are more prevalent in larger municipalities where expensive goods might tend to be mailed more regularly.

11. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I thought they all do. My local PO has one that you can actually see from the counter. I can watch the employee walk to the room, open the safe, and sign the paperwork when they retrieve my package from the safe. Sometimes I can't see the employee after go in the room, but they come out with my package, so I assume they have multiple safes in the room.

12. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

You know what's even cheaper? Just shipping the package without any insurance.

Seriously, for all the "bad service" jokes told about the USPS, how many of your packages have really been lost? I typically ship 100-200 packages a month. I honestly can't recall when was the last time one was lost. I've had tracking stop on them for week(s) and then suddenly show up again. I've had the tracking show they've taken the long route (Los Angeles to San Diego package hit New Jersey, went to New York, went back to New Jersey, hit Kentucky, visited Tennessee for a day, went back to Kentucky, before finding its way 100 miles south of me to its correct destination). I even had a package to Alaska take a year to arrive. But almost all eventually arrive!

I'm not saying your package won't get lost. I've had it happen to me. But insuring cheap packages is really a waste of money.

MIGuy likes this.
  13. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

Yep, sucks.

14. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

This is good to know. From now on I will ship registered for sure if its over 1000. You would think they wouldn't offer insurance for priority mail if they won't honor it. What really frustrates me is if they can refuse to pay a damage claim because it wasn't packaged well enough, WHEN WILL THEY EVER NOT REFUSE A CLAIM? Seems like free money.

Derrick Combs and Collecting Nut like this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They do honor the claims though so not sure what you’re saying

16. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

One time I had some books mailed to me. The Manila envelope fell apart. All I got was the part of the paper with the address on it. No books no complete envelope.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

My local PO just shut down but they had a large safe just for Registered mail. Each day only one worker had what they called the red key. That worker was the only person that could get into the safe. Each day that worker had to sign for the contents of the safe. I always felt good about the security they had in place.

It was a mess when they had a lockout. Safes do fail. A good friend of mine went to school for the PO to learn how to open a safe that failed. A few times per year he got to travel and crack a safe. Pretty cool job.

jtlee321 and CommemHalfScrub like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted