Coins stolen/missing from the post office back vault

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CommemHalfScrub, Dec 3, 2020.

1. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

Hey guys,
    I have an interesting story to share with you. Back in May, I sent a package of coins to a fellow collector that had purchased them for about $1200. I insured them and sent them USPS priority insured. When they arrived at the post office they were damaged, and the recipient refused delivery as there was a gaping hole and coins falling out of the box left and right. Instead of keeping the box at that post office, USPS sealed it up and shipped it back to me as refused.

I filed a claim. I had tons of documentation, pictures from the recipient, PayPal receipts, etc. I dropped off what was left in the box when I received it at my local post office as is required when filing a claim. They assured me it will be locked in a vault and I got a receipt.

Recently my last appeal was denied. USPS claims I did not package the items correctly. Unfortunately, since they did not follow protocol and shipped the items back to me instead, the evidence is lost.

Today I went to my post office to pick the coins up. I was handed a box only to discover about $700 in coins missing. I refused to take it, and will be filing a request for investigation with the USPS Office of the Inspector General.

What an experience, isn't it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, that's a shame, sorry to hear about your nightmare!

CommemHalfScrub likes this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Was the box used a flat rate Priority box or was it your own box? If it was a flat rate box, what size is the box and does it look like the box was flattened and wear caused the hole or does it look like the hole was intentionally punched out?

5. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

That's very unfortunate, in all my years I've been lucky enough to have nothing but positive experiences with the USPS. My suggestion would be to also contact the district office of your U.S. Representative and ask for constituent services for some assistance in getting the USPS to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. An inquiry on a constituent matter from a Congressperson to a governmental agency can sometimes get a better and swifter resolution than otherwise. They rely on Congress to approve their budget.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

This why I tape the crap out my boxes sent. Inside the box I double zip lock coins so they do not fall out.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  7. CommemHalfScrub

It was a medium flat rate box. it looked like someone took a bite out of the corner, leaving the box looking like an L instead of a square.

8. CommemHalfScrub

I did. They were also in rolls. The rolls were crushed and the bags ripped.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

geez. This happened at the post office... the post office ripped it open then.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  10. CommemHalfScrub

Thank you for your suggestion! I called my senator and rep and they said an aid will call me back, but I have not heard back in close to a week. How long do you think I should wait before reaching out again?

11. CommemHalfScrub

That's why I find it amazing that they said "According to postal records, your item was not packaged sufficiently to withstand the normal handling in the mainstream. We recommend that fragile items be double boxed."

Funny thing is it was double boxed, inside a bank coin box and then inside the flat rate box. They were both destroyed.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  12. CommemHalfScrub

IMG_0184.jpg Here is a photo taken by the recipient at the post offfice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

$1200? You should have shipped them by Registrted Mail. It's slower but much safer. Sorry this happened to you. You definitely need to file a complaint with the postal inspection service. And I would question a vault! This is not something the postal service has. A locked wire cage yes but not a vault or a safe and not all post offices have the cage.

14. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Oof. That’s an awful story. I just dropped up a large number of coins to be graded. It was my first submission and I couldn’t bring myself to ship them... so I hand delivered them.

15. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I'd call your Rep's local district office and ask for constituent services, get the persons name if they're not available or talk to them if they are and then make your request formally, in writing, in a letter to the Congressperson with that person ccd and mentioning your conversation with them in the letter - "Following up on my helpful conversation with Mr. X (or "following up on the message I left from Mr. X"), I'm requesting that you make an inquiry with the USPS as to the status of this matter and any help you can provide in resolving same...." Something along those lines. Respectfully, CHS, your constituent

CommemHalfScrub likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What was the weight of the initial shipment?

17. CommemHalfScrub

I'm not sure, I think about 15-20lbs. I made sure the box was not rattling around though. It was all tightly secured.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If that’s all true you need to get in contact with the USPS police and file a report

https://www.uspis.gov/

john59 and CommemHalfScrub like this.
  19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Man... If that happened to me...

Anger.jpg

I wouldn't stop until someone was either fired or in jail and I had been compensated for their screw-up on my insured package.

Good Cents and CommemHalfScrub like this.
  20. jtlee321

Also, for future reference. I don't ship anything over $1000.00 without it going Registered. It may be slow, but it's the safest option out there short of getting on a plane with it and hand delivering to the recipient.

Virginian likes this.
  21. jtlee321

I also just recently had a Registered Package get stuck in Kearny, NJ with my coins and a clients coins for 10 days! I went to my local PO who know me, and they started to make phone calls and send emails on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Low and behold on Sunday night after Thanksgiving, that package started to miraculously move. It then made it across the US and into my hands on Wednesday.

Good Cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted