coins replacing paoer

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bromac4, Mar 29, 2004.

1. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

If you get rid of $1 bills, you would have room for the $2 bills. That is what doomed the $2 bill in 1976, and the SBA dollar in 1979, not getting rid of the $1 bill. The other problem with the SBA was it was too close in size to the quarter. Thus with the Sac dollar, they solved that problem by changing the color (a la Canada's loon) but again made the mistake of not eliminating the $1 bill. I guess there is no will in the US to go through the temporary political backlash of eliminating the $1 bill for the long term benefit of $1 coins and $2 bills. Too bad. My wallet is doomed to be stuffed with ones for eternity, or until the Red Sox win the World Series.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Absolutely correct, the only way a $1 coin could succeed was if the $1 bill was withdrawn. What also doesn't help ios the fact that as soon as anyone gets used to the new dollar they go and change the design again!

4. chevy

chevy New Member

yeah, like the RED SOX WOULD EVER WIN!!!!

but, one dollar bills play a good role, especially in vending machines.

plus, instead of carrying one 100 dollar bill around, you could carry 100 1 dollar bills and throw them in theair everywhere u go!!!!

5. chevy

chevy New Member

but that's just me !!!!!!

6. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Works just the same with coins, except they don't blow away after you've thrown them, just don't be stood underneath where you threw them though...

7. chevy

chevy New Member

yeah.......true........that's a good point, sir

8. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

I had fun reading this thread posted by the Ancient Ones...

Got my first 2-cent-piece-sized US Dollar coins from a vending machine six months ago and have seen none since...

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Old thread but always controversial, opinionated and interesting.

Personally and respectfully, coins have long had a one way journey for me....meaning, when I pay cash and receive coinage, it comes home, is put in a bowl, and never leaves. For decades I have not left the house purposely putting change (coins) in my pocket. I always have cash in my wallet but never leave home with coins in my pocket. I used to keep quarters in my car for tolls, but since SunPass that also has ceased.

George McClellan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted