Coins properly or improperly cleaned

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mjones, Oct 9, 2015.

1. mjones

mjones New Member

Before I ask my question, I would like to thank the forum member who posted detailed information regarding the grading of Morgan dollars. That has been very helpful to me as I do research on coins.

My question involves coins that are cleaned...properly or improperly. When looking at photos of raw coins, is there a way to determine if they have been cleaned...properly or improperly?

Thanks

MJ

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Experience.... you need to train your eyes, which requires looking at/examining many coins with varying problems and in no problem conditions. In hand is certainly best, but if not an option, photos are better than nothing. The Heritage archives might be a fine place to start.

Kirkuleez and ldhair like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is easier to spot coins that have been improperly cleaned from an in-hand inspection than it is from photos of raw coins. In my opinion, the primary giveaway of improper cleaning is the absence of luster. Yes, there are other forms of improper cleaning which can often be identified from hairlines, whizzing, etc. but the lack of luster can be much harder to detect. The cartwheel effect of luster can be washed out easily in photos from too much or too little light. This is one reason why I don't trust scanned images because the scan floods the coin with light. When examining a coin in hand, if the cartwheel luster isn't visible, then it is very likely that it has been improperly cleaned. For example, if a coin has been over-dipped using acetone, the surface metal of the coin is disturbed which negates the luster.

Chris

ldhair, coinzip and medoraman like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This cannot be emphasized enough. I can GUESS at a grade and possible cleaning from a photo, but cannot know. Photos can be good, bad, or in between. I just received a Fedex with a coin from Germany. The photo in the auction showed an interesting coin, but in hand the coin is simply 5 times better. It works both ways, but the point being its ALWAYS best to examine a coin in person.

coinzip and cpm9ball like this.
  6. cpm9ball

I forgot to add that taking photos in direct sunlight is just like using a scanner to capture an image. The sunlight is at all points of the compass.

Chris

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And other times, can work the other way. We gamble with images of coins unholdered. Glad this one worked out for you Chris.......:)

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Mjones said "My question involves coins that are cleaned...properly or improperly"
    Personally (my opinion only), coins that are "properly or improperly" cleaned MUST always be marked as "cleaned" !! IF not---run away from it as you will regret it.
    So, if you do not have one buy a 10x pocket magnifier and just keep it with you as you never know when you'll want to examine a coin. Takes time to begin to notice the false or artificial luster that a cleaned coin exhibits. When in doubt DON'T unless you just really want the coin.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If a coin is properly cleaned...you will never know. Signs of improper cleaning include the absence of luster, as has been noted, and scratches, mostly in the same direction (parallel).

imrich and green18 like this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Agree.... a properly cleaned coin will never divulge it's heritage.......

coinzip likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

This is new to me. Please give me an example.

Chris

12. alxshark

alxshark New Member

Another helpful thing to look if a coin has been cleaned is usually in tight spaces or around raised edges there is some dark/black stuff and the rest of the coin in flat/ flatter areas seem to be shinier. Here is a video that can help you:

13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

devilish and green18 confirm what I said about cleaning, you'll never know, but eventually some very astute collector or dealer will and then you'll be out a lot of $$ when/if you decide to sell. I have an example of a high $ Hong Kong coin that I purchased 30+ years ago that I discovered a couple of weeks ago it had been cleaned; not a happy camper.

14. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

One thing that helps me notice imperfections AKA: Improperly cleaning, is under a bright light or natural sunlight, that is the best way I detect scratches, cleaning etc...

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Chris, did you really mean to say "acetone" ? Or did you mean to say something else ?

16. cpm9ball

Yes, because I've seen coins that were left too long in acetone.

Chris

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What would that do, dry out the coin?

18. cpm9ball

Usually, when someone asks a stupid question, I will respond with a stupid answer, but in this case, I'll just ignore it altogether.

Chris

19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Acetone is non corrosive to metal, hence it's storage in a metal can.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

So if I understand you correctly, based on this and your previous comments -

- you are saying that acetone can remove luster from a coin.

That simply isn't true Chris. You can put a coin with luster in acetone, and leave it there for a year if you want to, and when you take it out the luster of that coin will not have been affected or diminished at all by the acetone, not in any way.

If a coin is over-dipped long enough using a coin dip, then yes, the luster will be stripped completely, the coin will have no luster left. This is because all coin dips have an acid in them.

But this does not happen with acetone - not ever. Acetone won't even remove toning from a coin. It is impossible for acetone to disturb or strip away metal from a coin.

imrich, BadThad and medoraman like this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Please don't believe the FUD being offered here about acetone. The laws of physics and chemistry say acetone cannot harm metal, aside potentially copper in the presence of water vapor and bright light. Many collectors, myself included, rinse every_single raw purchase in acetone.

Draft saved Draft deleted