Coins - Proper Postage for Letters - Is this Possible?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by paddyman98, May 5, 2015.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I saw this picture on the web. What do you think would actually happen if this was put into a mailbox? I like that the person added 5C for their trouble :woot:
    sending-mail-with-coin-instead-of-stamp.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

sorry, they didn't pay enough. Postage is $0.49 for a letter. And all those coins might bump the weight over 1 oz so you have to pay for an extra ounce. Also, what if they rip the envelope trying to remove your coins???

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

It already requires an extra 21 cents "non-machinable" fee because it would not go through the cancelling machine.

Chances are high it would be returned to sender, undeliverable.

5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

When I was a kid, you could just put a letter in your mailbox with change on top of it and the mailman would put a stamp on the letter and leave the difference in the box. Times have changed.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Exactly!! For those of you who metal detect. If you get to detect an old house, always hunt around the mail box's. It was a very common practice to put a letter in the box and leave money in it for the mail man.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

True. These days you do not have to go to a post office in order to get postage. :) You can buy it online, or (not sure whether this works in the US) use a text message to buy a "stamp" ... Anyway, coins as postage are not such a great idea.

Christian

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

And if you happen to use a LOT of stamps, and have a good control system, you can buy discount postage on eBay for 60% to 80% of face value, depending on quantity and denomination(s).

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:greedy:..
    Thanks for the info! Will do!

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm sure if the Postal Service received text messages here, they would receive more T bags that postage request.

11. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

This is true. My wife and I have bought a lot of Forever stamps at 50 cents on the dollar, if not better. Most of it has been from a local buy/sell board, but a bit of it has been on eBay as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted