Coins:- PONTOS - 'Star' or 'Comet' design 130-100 B.C.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I recently purchased a couple of Pontos coins of the 'Star' (or Comet) design, from 130-100 B.C.
    I am unfamiliar with these coins, and I was hoping that someone could tell me more about them, please?
    (If I am not mistaken, the 'Star' design is similar to the design on some of my 'Prutahs'.)

AE 11 mm., 1.15 gm. Magical Snap - 2019.12.12 11.48 - 007.png

and

AE 15 mm., 1.78 gm.
    Magical Snap - 2019.12.12 12.03 - 010.png

dadams, ominus1, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here's my writeup on this coin that was unsold in AMCC 2:

36.jpg

PONTOS, under Mithridates VI (120-65 BCE), issued c. 120-100 BCE. 1.30g, 10mm
    Obv: Head of horse right, with star of eight points on its neck
    Rev: Comet star of eight points with trail to right.
    SNG BM Black Sea 984
    Rare.
    Lovely depiction of a comet on the reverse.

It was commonly accepted that both the birth and beginning of the reign of Mithridates VI, the famous enemy of the Roman Republic, were marked by the appearance of brilliant comets. Chinese records actually support the view that there was a supernova in 134 and a comet in 120. It is likely that this coin depicts those important portents; interestingly, the obverse star lacks a tail, in keeping with the supernova hypothesis.

Orielensis, dadams, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

5. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I think your coins are a different type, the obverse star has extra points around it+ the reverse looks different.

6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

1504 comet gr.jpg

Here's my comet, 12 mm and 1.45 gr. But Arnoldoe's right, your OP stars look both a bit different from the others shown here.

dadams, ominus1, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

(@arnoldoe - I think that you are right.)

The first coin has 'pellets' around the 'Star'(burst)/Comet, and the 'reverse' appears to my (old) eyes to depict a man riding a Bull (Horse?)
    I cannot find anything similar on 'CNG", 'Acsearch', 'Asia Minor Coins', 'Wildwinds', or any other site. Therefore I wonder if indeed it is 'Pontos'?
    The second coin, I am prepared to accept is an example of Star(burst)/Comet, with countermark on Quiver on the 'reverse'. (Roll photo of 'reverse' 90 degrees to the right.)
    (Similar to: . . . . .)
    Magical Snap - 2019.12.13 08.21 - 001.png

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    dadams, Johndakerftw, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  8. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    upload_2019-12-12_18-2-35.png
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=332773
    IBERIA, Malaka. Late 3rd century BC. Æ Quarter Unit (13mm, 2.81 g). Head of Vulcan right, wearing cap / Eight-rayed star with intercalations; central pellet. ACIP 780; SNG BM Spain 388-90. VF, pale green patina.

9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@arnoldoe
    Great find! Brilliant! Thank you. Just what I was hoping for.
    So Spain, not Turkey.

10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I don't believe Spain. It resembles the Pontos "leather cap" coins. https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=159214

Draft saved Draft deleted