Coins on Display or Not at Your LCS?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Publius2, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I have to chuckle as I visualize my local, and only, LCS. He is the only coin store for a 100 miles and I've only been in a couple of times as the place reminds me of a hoarders apartment. There is little to no order and "things" are just left stacked here and there with nothing on display. If the place was going to be robbed, the robbers would spent so much time looking for anything special, they'd still be there when the cops arrived. Oh, and he is open on ?, when he feels like it, so a couple of times, the doors were locked when I tried to drop by. I am in shock as he has a huge inventory and three to four employees. He bought out the closest coin shop 90 miles north of him and was going through the inventory the last time I was there. He seems to know where things are, and I should capitalize "SEEMS" as I was showing him a special coin I just acquired and he said he had one of those and went to look for it. Five plus minutes he came back with it. AND, he doesn't sell online. Not sure how he stays open. LOL

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Not on display at all, I'm in California and we're still going through a lock down or semi lock down. No more curfew but California has been in a really tough spot since March! I just went to my LCS today looking for ASE's, he didn't have any at all. I could have bought some Morgans or Peace Dollars but I didn't want to pay $25 each, that's too steep for my pocket book! :cigar:

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I remember one place in Georgia...I think in suburban Hotlanta, where you went up to the guy's house, knocked on the door, and he would open up the shop which was where a garage should be. I think I bought my first two cent piece there.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

One shop near me has display cases. Another has only a handful of coins out to see though the proprietor will pull more out of the safe for you to see. I suspect it has to do with the insurance carrier.

Draft saved Draft deleted