Coins of the Second Spanish Republic (1931-39)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Mar 3, 2021.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Found this 1934 Spain 25 centimos in my unsorted pile. I don't often see coins of the Second Republic Era around. The Civil War lasted 1936-39, but Franco's faction took control of most of the country fairly early on. I believe the 1937 25 centimos on the right was issued under Fascist rule. There are apparent a lot of regional or temporary issues from the war, though I don't have any yet.
    Please post your Spanish coins from this era if you would like. ob.jpg
    Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

You don't see 'em like that anymore . :)

4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I only have one coin of the Second Republic, a peseta dated 1933, in an ANACS holder.

Spain, Second Republic, AR peseta, 1993.1 ANACS 64.jpg

Spain, Second Republic, AR peseta, 1993.2 ANACS 64.jpg

My family in Detroit had the good fortune to know a volunteer, Marion Noble, of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. This brigade of volunteers from the US joined volunteers from other countries in 1936 to fight for the Second Republic, a fight that ended, tragically I think, with the victory of Franco and the fascists and the demise of the Second Republic in 1939.

I found a blog with Mr. Noble's memoire of his time serving in Spain:

https://albavolunteer.org/2018/04/keeping-the-vehicles-rolling-by-marion-noble/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  5. SensibleSal66

Absolutely gorgeous Coin @robinjojo . Almost to perfection ! ;)

robinjojo likes this.
  6. robinjojo

Thank you. I don't have too many 20th century coins, but I was drawn to this example for its beautiful design, especially the obverse, as well as its association with the Second Republic and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

I'm afraid that the memory of this brigade, as well as the Spanish Civil War, has faded into virtual oblivion. So much of history has been lost or deemed irrelevant.

7. SensibleSal66

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This one is before the era noted but it's the only one I have. :happy:

spaincincoa.jpg spaincincob.jpg

9. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Since the grade was not indicated I'll take the cue and not ask (translated...I'm asking, but respectful of your non-answer), but indeed a really beautiful coin. I have a bunch of raw Canadian half-dollars of that era that are nearly identical in appearance/condition, esp with some of the toning, and am curious. Thanks for sharing the photo and story.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2021
  10. robinjojo

Which coin are you referring to? If it is my coin, it is graded MS64.

I really do not place much credence on this system of grading, being quite old school. I prefer words over numbers, calling this coin a choice uncirculated.

Hope this helps.

Mac McDonald likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted