Featured Coins of the Newly Independent Latin American Republics - Chile's Volcano Coinage.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Eduard, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

@Eduard, I came across this old post about your 1768 Santiago Columnario. Do you still have it?

GoldenPirate likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@jgenn, to answer your question - I do not presently own this coin.
    In fact, after I bough it at the HA auction, I arranged for it to be sent to NGC for verification. NGC deemed it to be a counterfeit and this was confirmed by a leading expert on Spanish Colonial coinage. HA agreed to take it back. A disapointing experience, but I am glad I had the intuition to have it verified for authenticity.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Thanks for the end to the story, Eduard. I'm sure you were disappointed but it's useful for other folks that find your old post to know that it was not deemed genuine.

GoldenPirate and Eduard like this.
  5. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

Glad you got your money back, and good decision to have it verified by others.

6. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

Talking about early Republic, here is a recent purchase. Bolivian proclamation oval medal from early Republic. This medal has a beautiful design and shows an open book with the legends "Bolivian Constitution". It is not dated, but it was noted as a rare medal on a recent sale by Sedwick. This has a pedigree from Coco Derman Collection; apparently he owned 2. I am not a medal collector, but I have to mention that Bolivian Republic medals are very nice. In contrast to other countries, Bolivia had some proclamation coinage, which actually circulated as money.

This medal looks way better in hand, it has mint luster and nice patina. medalla bolivia.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a very nice medal! I did a little search to see if more information is available on its origins, but the only reference I found mentioned what your already know. Struck at Potosi, post 1825, ex. Derman.
    Similar to Fon(robert) 9453.

GoldenPirate likes this.
  8. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

Thanks for doing research, he had two of these medals on his collection. I have been looking that nowadays people care more about medals than years before. I was offered a mint state Charles IV Huancavelica Proclamation medal last year, when I went back to purchase, it was already sold.

Gallienus likes this.
  9. cbf259

cbf259 New Member

Hi mymissda1,

There have been probably a couple of auctions of this medal registered, but they go as far back as April of 1899 (Weyl - Berlin, Lot 2460). It is a very rare medal, and only a handful of specimens are known. Two of these medals came up for auction around 2008 in Colombia as part of the Alberto Lozano Collection (One in silver the other in a white metal alloy). The Lozano Collection was deemed back then as one of the best Bolivar related medal collections ever assembled in Colombia. Ebay auctioned a white metal one probably some 10-12 years ago.

Indeed, the decree only speaks of a platinum specimen struck and presented for Bolivar (rumored to be in either Chile or in California) and some struck in silver. However, I have direct knowledge of strikes of this medal in Bronze, and a white metal (tin and silver alloy) and a piedfort in silver as well. All of these medals are legit... very possibly also struck as part of the initial lot along with the silver ones.

The dies for this medal are in fact part of the inventories of the Colombian National Museum. Unfortunately, not everyone who works there is knowledgeable of this fact.

I visited the National Museum last month and indeed, if they have one of this medals in inventory it is not exhibited.

I'll be glad to share more information on this if you need it.

Eduard likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I finally got one! I couldn't believe how tiny this coin is. It must have been a pain to actually use these. NGC MS-66 PL:

IMG_3461.JPG IMG_3467.JPG

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Man that is a sweet find...I have one but nothing like that two thumbs up

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin!

13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is my newly acquired example from Heritage Signature Sale.....

AV 1/2 Escudo 1825-NG (Neuva Guatamala Mint)
    Central American Republic lf (10).jpg lf (11).jpg

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A recent addition:

Peru:
    Peru formally declared its independence from Spain on the 28th of July 1821. The following year, the first crown-size coin of the Independent Republic was struck, the so-called 'Peru-Libre' peso. This type was also issued in 1823.

This is my recently added example dated 1823.

Peru 8 reales 1823 Peru Libre ex Schulman Euro 284 10-2019 - 1.jpg

The process of independence from Spain was long and difficult - Spanish Royalist Forces re-captured Lima, the capital in 1824 and countermarked Peru-Libre pesos with the crown of the Spanish Monarchy. This is an example of an 1822 peso with an 1824 Spanish Royal countermark.

Final independence from Spain was not to be achieved until December of 1824 (9th of December) with the ultimate defeat of the Spanish Royalist army at Ayacucho.

Peru Libre 8 Reales 1822 with counterstamp - OBV - 1.jpg Peru Libre 8 Reales 1822 with counterstamp - REV - 1.jpg

A small nucleus of royalist resistance did remain at the port of Callao and the fortress of Real Felipe, close to Lima, which stubbornly held out until 1826.
    For all practical purposes, however, Ayacucho marked the end of Spanish rule in the former Viceroyalty of Peru.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Wow, what a cool piece of history! I love that a lot of detail survived. Great addition :)

Eduard and rp3989 like this.
  16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you! I am glad you like it.
    You know me - it's all about the history:).

Kentucky, Seattlite86 and rp3989 like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

My favorite kind of coin collector :)

Eduard likes this.
  18. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice Peru Libre crown Eduardo. Did you get both the original version and the Spanish overstrike? I've been looking for one of these for a while but haven't gotten one. There was one auctioned at the NYICS in Jan 2017 but sadly I missed it.

Eduard likes this.
  19. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted