Featured Coins of the Newly Independent Latin American Republics - Chile's Volcano Coinage.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Eduard, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice 1810, I recall that these were the 1st year of issue, although patterns were struck dated 1809 in both bronze and silver. Brazilians are very adept at determining the understrike of these although yours appears to be overstruck on a Mexican 8R of Charles 4th, issued between 1791 and 1808. The date would be on the opposite end of the coin as where the "18" from 1810 appears. Here's what the host coin may have been. You can see where the 3 leaves line up at the top of his head and also the big letters "DE" from DEI GRATIA below.

However I'm not an authentic Brazilian; I just lived in Brazil for a few years. You'd need to find one to tell you about this definitively.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Gallienus. Do you have any idea of price for this 960 Reis that my friend has? I ask because he's in a turbulent financial moment and I'd want to help him, offering a just value for purchasing this coin.

4. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

The typical 1810 R 960 reis value in NGC's guide seems reasonable to me based on my previous purchases. However the 1810/09 is not represented in the guide. If genuine, it might command some kind of premium. Perhaps that variety is in the book that @Gallienus showed earlier in this thread.

5. Gallienus

Well from the quality of photos it's hard to tell. Normally an 1810 in this grade would be worth $80 or so. However if it is an 1810/ 09, then it would definitely be worth a premium, maybe a significant premium. I don't know of that overdate listed in my Claudio Amato reference (which I bought from Claudio in his shop) and my newer reference seems to has disappeared. Can he get a good photo? Also he could consign it for auction: Stacks or Heritage, not thru ebay. If it was a Peruvian or Bolivian coin, I'd say "who cares?" but the Brasilians get very excited over 960 overstrikes & understrikes & such.

I'll send an email to a dealer in Brasil and see what he says.

GoldenPirate likes this.
  6. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I'll ask to him for more photos.

7. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

8. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Ops. IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3035.JPG I don't know if was possible to open the link, because it seems to invalid. So, I post the photos again.

panzerman, talerman and GoldenPirate like this.
  9. Gallienus

I think the Brazilians are preoccupied with their Presidential elections at the moment & haven't replied back to me. I'll try some new ones.

mymissda1 likes this.
  10. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Yeah, here is a political chaos. half of population wants maintenning of Democracy and other half wants a new order to command Brazil. And sincerely, I don't know what is the future for my country.

mymissda1 likes this.
  11. mymissda1

mymissda1 New Member

Has anyone ever seen one of this medal from 1825? It was issued by the Gran Colombia. It is marked Gayrard, so the medalist is known although it is hard to find record of it in his biography (French is hard). The only record I found was the 150th anniversary medal that Venezuela released in 1974 Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 1.52.59 PM.png medallas, fichas y monedas de colombia 16.jpg and the original decree in the records of Congress of Colombia. Whenever I speak of it, people assume I am speaking of the SESQUICENTENNIAL edition. Thank you!!

panzerman likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1830 2 Reale [ sol ] Bolivia km-95a 1830 2 R obv..jpg 1830 2 R rev..jpg

13. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

They're a bit rough but here are my volcanoes:
    CAR 1 real 1830 KM#19.2:
    Central American Republic 1 real 1830 (3).jpg
    Honduras 1 real 1832 KM#18:
    Honduras 1 real 1832 (3).jpg
    Honduras 2 reales 1832 KM#19:
    Honduras 2 reales 1832 (3).jpg

:happy:

14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here are mine...
    AV 8 Escudos from Bolivia lf (13).jpg lf (14).jpg

15. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

First of all, I want to say that this is a great thread with lots of information and nice coins. Early Latin American coinage is exceptional with a lot of history behind. I have created a thread weeks ago, sharing 2 great coins that are for sale on Heritage Auctions. One very rare 1/4 Real from Colombia dated 1832 (NGC MS63), and the other one 8 Reales from La Rioja Argentina, graded NGC MS63 as well.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.23.23 AM.png
    In my opinion, this 1832 Popayan Colombia 1/4 Real NGC-63 is the finest known I have ever seen, even in better condition than the other example sold by Heritage for $10,575 USD in 2014. Although not attributed on the NGC holder, this coin has a spectacular and obvious overdate 2/7. Recently, I had the opportunity to look at this coin on a video uploaded by a blogger, it has full mint luster and probably a 64 if regraded.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.51.23 AM.png
    The second coin, is a popular coin from Argentina. 1838 La Rioja Argentina 8 Reales NGC MS63, this coins are usually offered with dark patina, but this one shows full mint luster as shown in the photo. As mentioned on my thread, this coins are rarely offered at mint state level; I have seen another 63 sold years ago, but not as beautiful as this one.

Early Latin American coins are exceptional with incredible rarities. Another coin I saw for sale in this coming auction is a 1834 Ecuador Escudo graded NGC MS64, being the finest known. It is an nice coin although the weak strike at some points, but overall a numismatic jewel.

Keep sharing coins and information in this thread, it has been a pleasure reading all of the comments and gaining knowledge from them. Thanks

16. panzerman

Really beautifull examples, Golden Pirate! Thanks for sharing....
    John

17. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

Thank you, your 8 Escudos from Potosi is a beautiful example of Latin America gold coinage.

panzerman likes this.
  18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is a Chilean Peso from 1858 from my collection. It was struck following the new, more modern design introduced in 1853.

Together with pesos dated 1862 it is one of the key coins of the series.

Chile Santiago Peso 1858 OBV1 N - 1 (1).jpg Chile Santiago Peso 1858 REV1 N - 1.jpg

Burnside_Q, talerman, Paddy54 and 4 others like this.
  19. panzerman

Lovely example, Eduard:happy: Thanks for showing it to us!
    John

Eduard likes this.
  20. GoldenPirate

GoldenPirate New Member

Great example, and the scarcest date within the series. Nice condition with an attractive patina; I love that Condor's design. Thanks for sharing.

panzerman and Eduard like this.
  21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

GoldenPirate and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted