Coins of Rhodesia

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

One of my motivating factors in coin collecting is gathering coins from unusual places. I love items from former colonies, obscure countries, nations that no longer exist, things like that. With that in mind, I wanted to share some coins from a country I hardly ever see anyone post about here: Rhodesia. This country had several name changes through the years. The first coins are from Southern Rhodesia, followed by Rhodesia and Nyasaland, then Rhodesia, and finally Zimbabwe, which might be best known numismatically for having currency with denominations in the trillions. I didn't take pictures of my Zimbabwe coins for this exercise, but here are the others. I recently thinned out this collection a bit and I might do more in the future, but I find it a little harder to part with coins like this.

I'm going to start with half pennies.
    1942 southern rhodesia half penny.jpg 1944 southern rhodesia half penny.jpg 1955 rhodesia half penny.jpg 1957 rhodesia half penny.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Pennies are more numerous and it will take a few posts. Here's the first group. 1934 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1935 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1936 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1937 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1939 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1940 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1942 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg

4. Hiddendragon

Second group. Note that there is a 1942 in both groups with a different metal. 1942 southern rhodesia 1 penny2.jpg 1943 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1947 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1952 southern rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1955 rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1956 rhodesia 1 penny.jpg 1958 rhodesia 1 penny.jpg

mkivtt, Eric the Red, Stork and 6 others like this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

One of the new issuers I do not yet have.
    Africa has been tough for me. Getting close though. Really like the giraffes! Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 1.10.34 PM.png

6. Hiddendragon

Here are the 3 pence. 1932 southern rhodesia 3 pence.jpg 1948 southern rhodesia threepence.jpg 1949 southern rhodesia threepence.jpg 1952 southern rhodesia 3 pence.jpg 1955 rhodesia threepence.jpg 1956 rhodesia threepence.jpg 1964 rhodesia threepence.jpg

7. Hiddendragon

8. Hiddendragon

9. Hiddendragon

2 shillings and half crowns. 1951 southern rhodesia 2 shillings.jpg 1952 southern rhodesia half crown.jpg 1954 southern rhodesia half crown.jpg 1955 rhodesia 2 shillings.jpg

10. Hiddendragon

And last but not least, after the switch to a decimal system. 1964 rhodesia 5 cents.jpg 1964 rhodesia 10 cents.jpg 1964 rhodesia 20 cents.jpg 1970 rhodesia 1 cent.jpg 1971 rhodesia half cent.jpg 1977 rhodesia 20 cents.jpg

11. Hiddendragon

I was looking at some of these coins on eBay a few days ago to get an idea of the market. I feel like the prices are too high for it to really make sense to chase most of them unless you really want one. Best bet is to hope you find them in a junk bin or something. I remember years ago I bought a big lot of the pennies which is where a lot of those came from.

12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I have gotten lucky finding British West Africa coins in bins, but I really wish I could finish up this stupid map. Been 10 years of work!

Bradley Trotter and Hiddendragon like this.
  13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Have a few coins from the Rhodesia(s) but am more into the paper money.
    Rhodesia_$2_5-24-1979_face-rev.jpg

mkivtt, Chris B, Eric the Red and 5 others like this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice photos. Thanks for the posts.

Hookman and Hiddendragon like this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

The dancing elephants penny is one of my favorite African coins.

[​IMG]

16. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Here's one I picked up last year . . .

[​IMG]

17. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Well done dragon. I think i gotta have one of those 1970 1 cent. Great collection.... very nicely done.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  18. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Great collection of high quality strikes of interesting designs that I have not seen before. Thank you for posting!

Hiddendragon likes this.
  19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Hard to find a more interesting world category than the British Empire. Here's a final one . . .

[​IMG]

20. Hiddendragon

The silver half crown is one I don't have and yours is really nice. I feel like I had an opportunity to buy one at a coin shop recently and I passed after hearing the price. Now I wish I had done it.

21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I was lucky to pick that one up right before prices started to spike. I doubt I'd be willing to pay what it's going for now.

Draft saved Draft deleted