coins of fellow metal detectorist

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Whilst I may also be speaking to the more discerning amongst us, Kentucky provided a simple challenge. He may have thought that ancient Roman coins were as likely to be found on the moon as in the U.S. My answer showed, although not strictly evidential, that what might seem impossible ain't necessarily so. The Roman Empire was, for a very long time, world-wide. I believe that it is more than likely that Roman representatives travelled for surveillance, to estimate whether, or not, certain areas were worthy of occupation. And we do know, don't we ?, that ancient Roman coins have been discovered in various American locations.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

In general i think you are right, also normal cow poop is bad, only when bronse is found in clay it of good/better quality

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually it's all your references that convinced me...that and the "Mysteries Of Oak Island" or whatever nonsense that was on TV.

5. Kentucky

I really have to look up the definition of "discerning" Please don't get mad at me, just joshing you.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree that the Oak Island stuff is nonsensical.

Intriguing nonsense - entertaining nonsense - but nonsense all the same.

But what do I know. Never been there.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Bert Gedin

You're not the only one who hasn't been to Oak Island. But when one sees various sources, online, I would not be inclined to rubbish every single one. Some may be fake news, and some may be genuine.

8. Bert Gedin

Kentucky, "discerning" means something like to evaluate critically. It's not unusual for me to look up words I don't know - "kneck" was a recent example !

Kentucky likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

I will freely admit that there could be some tiny grain of historical validity to the whole Oak Island thing, but it is so overlaid with legend and hype and outright fantasy that I'm not sure we will ever know.

Of course that's the appeal for some folks. The whole mystery.

I can agree with that, and enjoy the mystery of it - to a point - but after a while I lose interest without seeing anything of substance. And frankly, I don't trust the "History" Channel to provide such substance. They lost my respect years ago.

galba68 likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Apologies to @galba68 for straying a bit too far off the original topic.

11. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

l fully agree about history channel, LM..

12. Kentucky

You do have a sense of humor:)

13. Bert Gedin

Kentucky, if we couldn't laugh, we might spend much of our time weeping !!!

14. Bert Gedin

From tiny Acorns mighty Oak Trees grow !!! You're eclectic, lordmarcovan, and I'm odd !!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted