Coins missing clad layer(s)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collect89, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Let’s post some coins missing clad layers. (I’d guess that most will be dated sometime after 1964).:D

I’ll begin with this pair of dimes. Both are dated 2001-D and both are in PCGS slabs. IMG_7267.jpg IMG_7136.jpg IMG_7137.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

silentnviolent likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's quite a coincidence! My 2001-D Kennedy is missing the reverse clad layer.

Chris

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

5. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone here has the elusive coin missing both clad layers. It's one that has escaped me.

Here's the other side of the coin (HaHa). Struck on clad layer only. StruckOnCladLayer-Obv.jpg StruckOnCladLayer-Rev.jpg

silentnviolent and Collect89 like this.
  6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Great coins gentlemen! I'll post another dime (because the photo is handy). This one is dated 1989:
    IMG_7134.jpg IMG_7135.jpg

Keep 'em coming.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't have one either.:( Most that I have seen (raw) have been plated & damaged outside the mint IMO.

Here are a couple coins that have been struck on copper-wash or sintered planchets. These particular coins appear copper on both sides but they are not missing clad layers.
    IMG_7140.jpg IMG_7142.jpg 1988 Quarter on Sintered Planche Slab.jpg
    Of course, when a coin is struck on a copper cent planchet, it might also appear as though the clad layers are missing:
    IMG_7045.jpg IMG_7046.jpg

OK, this quarter is dated 1964 and the US mint hadn't begun using the clad planchets. Sorry for digressing. I should probably keep the photos to missing clad layers.:)

Missing clad layers - post 'em if you got 'em.

8. cpm9ball

It's your thread. Do what you want!

Chris

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

What I want is your half dollar but I know it is forever going to be in your collection. :D

Here is a dime, quarter, & half from 1979. All are missing clad layer on the obverse.
    MissingCladLayers1979Obv.jpg MissingCladLayers1979Rev.jpg

10. Old Error Guy

I always thought this was a cool partial clad.

PartialClad-Rev.jpg PartialClad-Obv.jpg

silentnviolent and Collect89 like this.
  11. Zachkeaton

Zachkeaton Cervus non Servus

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It's also interesting to me to note how many are in which tpg slabs. So far the majority pictured are ngc, which surprises me a bit. I thought anacs would hold the majority.

13. cpm9ball

Why would you think that? Granted, ANACS is the only service that attributes ALL Morgan & Peace varieties, but why would anyone want to submit errors to them when the slabs from NGC or PCGS would probably bring more money upon resale.

Chris

14. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I guess mostly because i consider anacs to be more the go-to error tpg, from what i have read. Lots of advice I've read here is to start with anacs and cross over if attributed.

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Nice example of a missing partial clad layer before strike!

I have this one where the partial clad is missing after the strike. (It was apparently a sweet clam-shell example where the partial layer has since broken away).
    Copy of IMG_7274.jpg Copy of IMG_7273.jpg

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've got a fair number that are raw:
    Copy of IMG_7288.jpg Copy of IMG_7289.jpg Copy of IMG_7285.jpg Copy of IMG_7286.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Attached Files:

Zachkeaton and silentnviolent like this.
  18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There are some good coins posted in this thread. We have 10-cent, 25-cent, 50-cent, and dollar coins. Here are Ike dollars dated 1971, 1972, & 1976.
    Copy (2) of 1971 Slab 1.jpg IMG_7290.jpg Copy of IMG_7282.jpg

19. Old Error Guy

Do you, by any chance, have the weight on the 71 Ike? I'm amazed how weakly struck it is.

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It was purchased in the slab so I don't know the weight or dimensions of the 1971. I've never examined the coin outside of the PCGS slab.

21. BonnieSue

BonnieSue The devil's in the Hair !!

Clad layer missing??? quartedime 016.jpg quartedime 017.jpg quartedime 018.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted