Coins lost in the mail Official Thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, May 23, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’ve ever not received any money item.

I used to buy loads of banknotes from all sorts of random countries, and each has gotten here. Many sent from places like Serbia or other sketchy Eastern European countries were sent with no tracking. Just wait a month or two and they’ve always arrived.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Eastern Europe is not as sketchy as it used to be.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I purchased a coin from a gentleman in Canada that was never delivered. He challenged me on every level, including my integrity. To this day he believes I stole his coin. For this reason I now will not accept or send a package without a tracking number. Rather be safe than sorry!

5. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

lost a pair of canadian quarters never got (mailed in an regular envelope) and the dealer was very nasty with me (salespro) on ebay, but other than that maybe just 1 other in the past 6 months whence started buying off ebay..so pretty good so far as i am concerned..been lucky

6. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

was it salspro?? lol they got me too, think they never sent it

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Just curious if you had declaration on the item for full value if it they were high dollar items. I have had a couple of items go missing at some point in transit between the U.S.P.S. and the CPB in New York, all with true declared value. I really think it has to do with the fact the item value is visible for all to see. A real goldmine for shady handlers with sticky fingers.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

This is definitely a problem that is dependent on where you live. Back when I lived in the UK around 10 years ago this was a constant problem. We had internal mail boxes, slots on the front door so mail would be put directly into your house, but this provided no assurance that you would actually receive your mail. I remember one time finding the package of my coin opened up in my front garden, meaning the culprit had to have been the mailman. This wasn't even the first time this had happened with our mail. Every time we sent in a complaint it fell on deaf ears, really disgusting.

I have lived in New Zealand for the past 10 years and have never experienced this problem, and everyone here has external mail boxes.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

I primarily collect low-value obscure copper and billon oriental coinage (mostly sub-20 dollar category). Often postage rates are higher than the content value. I saw no relation between the commercial value and the chance to get missing.

Draft saved Draft deleted